cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy CitiBank denied me for credit line increase of soft inquiry...

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Best Buy CitiBank denied me for credit line increase of soft inquiry...

@Anonymous wrote:
I requested a soft pull. So yeah they probably said they did and denied me because I wouldn't agree to hard inquiry. I monitored all 3 reports since then to make sure there were no inquiries. There were none. I refuse to waste an inquiry on a stupid merchant card.

off the website

*By submitting this form you authorize Citibank, N.A. to obtain your credit report.*

Message 11 of 16
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
 I refuse to waste an inquiry on a stupid merchant card.

I agree... but in this case it was worth it to me.  I doubled my limit from $1800 to $3500 and with 16 months history I'm hoping I see the MC upgrade in 2015.

I only have 2 merchant cards, and it's a guy girl thing... Best Buy for me, Nordstrom for her.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 12 of 16
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

I had a best buy card from the Capital one days. I tried for an increase right after citi took over and was denied. I closed the card out and reapplied 6 months later and got my increaseSmiley Tongue

My reports or scores werent really any different between the CLI and new application so I almost wonder if there were some sort of restrictions placed on the annual fee cards.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I requested a soft pull. So yeah they probably said they did and denied me because I wouldn't agree to hard inquiry. I monitored all 3 reports since then to make sure there were no inquiries. There were none. I refuse to waste an inquiry on a stupid merchant card.

off the website

*By submitting this form you authorize Citibank, N.A. to obtain your credit report.*

I didn't use the website. I called citibank directly. Requested to talk to a senior analyst per my first post. 

Message 14 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

off the website

I didn't use the website. I called citibank directly. Requested to talk to a senior analyst per my first post. 

I just called in and my apology I forgot they had switched to the Discover way of you can process request with SP but they almost always say oh yeah system says we will need to do a hp, do you want to continue... I really want to tell them where to shove this card but it's no AF and I have had it for years so I feel like I would just be cutting off my nose to spite my face since every once in a while it works out to price match or get my 10% back on it and pif and run with my rewards!

Message 15 of 16
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok... What really annoyed me was also was, the analyst said they don't do CLI unless the customer request it.  All the best with it.

Yeah I can believe that... well if that is their game then so be it... I dont know why citibank behind my Home Depot card did an automatic increase within just a few short months...  I assume each merchant division has its own protocol... oh well!

Thanks for the replies

I think they keep CL low on the BB MC & store card because the Reward Zone points is an expensive reward program. I've always had a low CL on the BB MC - got an initial $500 CL from HSBC. Cap One raised it to $1k over the phone, soft pull. Even with onlky $1k CL I've been Elite Plus for several years now, spending $3500/yr. just on groceries & gas that get 1.5 points, but I often had to pay it down before the statement cut to keep the util under 10%. Elite Plus gets me free expedited shipping with no minimum purchase $$$ plus 5x points on BB purchases, I live in the boonies and hr. from the nearest BB store, so that's an important perk for me - I'm on a first name basis with both my mailman & UPS driver. Smiley Very Happy And I rarely make a BB purchase unless I have some RZ certs to lower the price, pretty sure BB looses $$$ on me. Citi doubled the CL to $2k within an hour of requesting it online with a HP, but I'm OK with that, now much easier to keep util under 10% and still get my perks. And after 3 years with this card I now have positive post BK7 tradelines with HSBC, Cap One & now Citi, my 2nd biggest creditor in my BK.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.