Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy - Soft hit?

tag
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

Best Buy - Soft hit?

Hey everyone!!
So I'm really needing a computer and want to go big. The financing of 12 months no interest is enticing. And I like that they are backed by Citi. So, I was asking about their pulls and the guy said it's a soft pull to apply. Thinking this isn't right, I questioned it and he said he'd check it out with his manager. She said what they do is a "soft hit." Apparently it is a point for 30 days and you get it back as long as you aren't applying everywhere.

Can anyone shed light on this for me? Or is there any confirmation?
BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Goal - To get in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy (ACHIEVED!)
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Buy - Soft hit?

I’m pretty sure it is a HP (unless something has changed). 

If you really want the card, the HP is worth it IMO. 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a hard pull. I just got the card no more than a month ago. They pulled my Equifax report.
Message 3 of 12
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

Thank you both so much!! I thought that it would be. Never heard of the soft hit she referred to. I believe they could get in trouble for giving false info about applying. I know at my company, we can get in trouble for it. Not sure if that's directly related to our card issuer or by law.
BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Message 4 of 12
chaos51
Regular Contributor

It's definitely a hard pull. It is also a hard pull for a CLI unless they auto CLI you.

Total Revolving Credit Limit: $306,900
Pay Over Time Limit: $85,000
Fico 8 Scores: Ex: 751, TU 751, EQ 741
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

it's likely a SP for pre-qual purposes just to see if you're worth the paper work. But it's definitely a HP to open the account.

Message 6 of 12
chaos51
Regular Contributor

Best Buy does not have a prequal option like Citi does with HD. Reps will confirm this if you call. 

Total Revolving Credit Limit: $306,900
Pay Over Time Limit: $85,000
Fico 8 Scores: Ex: 751, TU 751, EQ 741
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

SP usually for CLI's, Pre-Qualified, Pre-Approval, Insurance quotes... Loans, Credit Cards usually HP's unless it's reported by folks on here. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 12
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

And this is the reason I love this board.  As the employees were trying to get me to apply with false info, it's been corrected by coming on here.  I thought something sounded really strange with the "soft hit' and getting my point back in 30 days.  You all rock!!  Thanks!!

Message 9 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I've frequently heard or overheard the soft pull pitch in various stores. I chalk it up to employees not knowing what they're talking about and that they're simply following instructions from management, who also doesn't know the difference. Some will explain that the effect of an inquiry on one's score is minimal, which is more accurate.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.