Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Card with a Trans - 729 Experian - 729 Equifax - 720

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Card with a Trans - 729 Experian - 729 Equifax - 720

Looking for some guidance.  I pulled my reports today and had the following scores: Trans - 729 Experian - 729 Equifax - 720.  

What I am looking for is the best card with a generous limit as my cards I have both have small limits.  Or one that once approved offers increase in limits based upon good payment history.

Pre-qualified for a bunch.

Capital One - Multiple 

Chase - Multiple

BMO - Multiple

AMEX - Multiple

Discover - Multiple

Any recomendations on what card or cards I should apply for?  Thanks!!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Best Card with a Trans - 729 Experian - 729 Equifax - 720

Your scores qualify you for pretty much any thing out there. Amex may not start at a mega limit for most of us. They do grow steadily with soft pull CLI request. Capitol One Venture gives decent limits out the gate.
Or you can join a couple of nice Credit Unions and request the limit you want and skip some of the guessing.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can get in with Navy Fed, you might get the highest SL out of the rest...but then again you might not as their system doesn't seem to have much logic to it.  Ex: My wife got a 15K SL on a Visa Signature with them for her first credit card (with a sub-600 credit score), whereas I got $1500 with a 700+ score, 0 utilization, high income, etc.

Otherwise I would get in the following order:

1.  Chase Sapphire Preffered (or reserve even better if you don't mind the $450 annual fee)

2.  Amex (Whichever one you like best.  I've heard they increase cli 3x after 60 days)

3.  Discover (I've heard they are hit or miss with SL.  I got 10k on mine.)

4. I would try Citi over BoA...but I've heard BoA is decent too.

5.  Maybe other CU's.  Anything but CapOne...other than a rebuilder, they have proven to be pretty garbage.

Message 3 of 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Virtuoso,
If you'd app for a new Cap One card. You'd gotten a much better return. It's well known here. The cards you get with them during a rebuild don't grow well. If you'd app for a Venture. You may have gotten a $15k or $20k limit out of the gate.
I never received an increase on my first card with them over 7 years.
It was $1100 dollars. That card is much more now with a little foot work. Always more than one way to skin the cat.😉
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What cards do you currently have and what are their limits and ages? Would you like to let us know a bit more details about what's on your credit report? If you are preapproved for an Amex revolver, you can give it a try with them, since they are usually good with giving high enough limits to those who haven't got a large limit card.

Right now preferably BCE or Everyday cards as they don't have annual fee and offer rewards (BCE for cash back and Everyday for reward points). Chase can also be good with limits on their rewards cards, but you might want to have a high limit card on your credit report first. So I would say if Amex gives you a large limit, wait for 4--5 months for the account to report as well as some payment history, then apply for Chase. Also if your Amex limit is not very high, you have the chance of getting it increased after 61 days of the account opening.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:
Virtuoso,
If you'd app for a new Cap One card. You'd gotten a much better return. It's well known here. The cards you get with them during a rebuild don't grow well. If you'd app for a Venture. You may have gotten a $15k or $20k limit out of the gate.
I never received an increase on my first card with them over 7 years.
It was $1100 dollars. That card is much more now with a little foot work. Always more than one way to skin the cat.😉

I have heard this, and that you can combine credit limits from previous cards so perhaps that is an option.  I'm just not a fan of CapOne's 3 bureau pull for all new apps, and having been a customer for 5+ years I don't feel like I should have to apply for new cards to get more than a 1k limit.  (Sorry to threadjack)

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's amazing to me how most folks here use Capital One to rebuild their credit and once they have rebuilt, start bashing them. I was always told, don't forget where you came from.

Message 7 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Op, great scores. Having lots of prequals is nice but not always necessary. Remember, "Best" is very subjective here in Ficoland. One persons best may not work for someone else. Look to what will work best for your spend and perhaps to someone you'd like to build a relationship. Seems you have lots of options. Let us know what you are looking for ie cashback, travel, low apr, etc and watch your options grow with opinions hereSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.