Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit Card for Bad Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Credit Card for Bad Credit

As the title says I'm trying to get a couple of credit cards, that will show up on my credit report to help with my payment history and credit utalization. I currently have a FingerHut and Credit One Bank. What does everyone suggest?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Best Credit Card for Bad Credit

I would say add a Matrix or First Premier but a) i would be joking and b) my fellow myficoers would moderate me off the forum lolSmiley Happy.

But seriously, Fingerhuts not bad as they really do help build payment history though i recommend just buying small items , pay more than the minimum, etc. I also know many here will ask for you to list more info like current scores etc so they can offer more options. I know you can possibly try for a secure card perhaps with your local bank, credit union or some one like Capitol One. Depending on your score you maybe can try for a store card or maybe a SCT card, but not get carried away with this one if able to get. Just to help maximize your fico and build your history. Hope this is somewhat helpgul. Best of luckSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 21
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

AverageJoesCredit is right.

Fingerhut is nice to begin with and they will give you auto cli's about every 3 statements. I got mine last year June as i started my rebuild, and i went from $300 to $800, then $1300, then, last week to $2100. When i look back, i have several months in between that i did not generate a statement because i did not buy anything, and the cli's seem to come at every 3 statement. Buy the cheapest thing you can find, and leave the balance, and pay it off before the due date in full.

For the rest of your question, if you give us more specifics, such as baddies, current scores and trade lines, we can come up with more specific answers for you.

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 3 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hi @ksk, i actually hit 2100 with fingerhut but when they gave me a temp credit line increase from 1700. I had to use the whole 400 to make it permanent, baught something like 100 but said no thanks. It actually updated my cr with 2100 but when iffered expired, came down to 1800. This is when i decided ive gone as far as i can go with them. I am amazed though that there are people who have gotten 3000 limits with them .Smiley Wink

@ Op, more stats needed as you can see... the baits out there just need more cheese Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 21
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
@Anonymous @Anonymous, i actually hit 2100 with fingerhut but when they gave me a temp credit line increase from 1700. I had to use the whole 400 to make it permanent, baught something like 100 but said no thanks. It actually updated my cr with 2100 but when iffered expired, came down to 1800. This is when i decided ive gone as far as i can go with them. I am amazed though that there are people who have gotten 3000 limits with them .Smiley Wink

@ Op, more stats needed as you can see... the baits out there just need more cheese Smiley Happy

They have always been nice with me with cli's and never took one back. I am waiting to pay my uti down, then i will end up closing this  account by christmas. I just want to do one more round of 3 statement / cli, and then it will be time to close it!

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 5 of 21
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Fingerhut is a good starter , but I'm confused on the CLI , I've had my account for 9 mths and still at 300 CL when my scores have increased greatly , also my sister has the same issue , still stuck at SL even when she buys something and PIF .. what are you guys doing different to get increases .?
Message 6 of 21
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

And OP as far as other options , I would try Cap one , if you can't get a unsecured just get a few good secured cards and leave them predatory banks alone , they will eat you alive in fees and interest.
Message 7 of 21
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Aduke1122 wrote:
Fingerhut is a good starter , but I'm confused on the CLI , I've had my account for 9 mths and still at 300 CL when my scores have increased greatly , also my sister has the same issue , still stuck at SL even when she buys something and PIF .. what are you guys doing different to get increases .?

Buy something, but don't pay it off right away. Let the balance report, and then pay it before due date. Sometimes, pay the minimum due or a little over, and carry a small balance. This way you generate a statement and this should help with the cli. Also, the rest of your credit profile is very important for cli.

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 8 of 21
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

That's what I'm not understanding my profile is way way better than it was back then , but I guess I see that carrying a balance would help, it's just their stuff is so expensive. .yikes .. don't want to even use the card lol
Message 9 of 21
baller4life
Super Contributor

Unify Credit Union. They approve as low as 560. Navy Federal is PHENOMENAL when it comes to helping rebuilders. For a third card, I would say Capital One.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.