Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Gas card other than NRA?

tag
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best Gas card other than NRA?

Penfed 5x points is only good for using it at the pump. Inside purchases don't count.

I have the Sam's Mastercard which I love. You get 5% at the pump and inside conveinance purchases. You also get 3% for dining and travel.

The only bad part for some is you get a check once a year for your cash back. I kind of like it since it does add up.

Message 21 of 46
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I've used my Penfed Cash Rewards card inside and at pump. Still got 5% cash back credited to my bill. They don't show it on the website anymore. So I'm not sure the Penfed green cash rewards card is still offered.
Message 22 of 46
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Hey guys, so this is a true 5% Cash back, not like Penfed where it claims to be 5% but turn to be 4.15%? No limit on the 5% either, crazy! Sometimes, I go to sporting goods stores like boots, shoes, self defence stuff, etc. Good card, might as well apply!
Message 23 of 46
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Mine is a TRUE 5% cash back card. Not 4% or whatever. lol
Message 24 of 46
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Good card you have bro, it's not available anymore unfortunately, it's good cause you get the money back monthly.
Message 25 of 46
Gmood1
Super Contributor

There are a couple of specific to certain gas stations that offer 5% back. Have you checked to see if any of them will fit your gas needs?
Message 26 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:
I might get the Penfed, I mean 4.15% isn't that bad, better than the Costco 4% and 3% from Bank of America cash rewards. The 5% makes a big difference from 4.15. We will see.

You have to consider what Costco prices their gas at though.  It's usually significantly cheaper than any other gas station.  Only relevant if it's convenient for you to go there, of course.  If it is though, it's likely the least expensive way for you to purchase gas.  

Message 27 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

First off, I'd like to say I applied for the NRA card and was denied due to too many inquiries - I had 3 in the last 2 years! 2 of them were from Nusenda (1 for becoming a member, 1 for opening the account), which I called and spoke with Nusenda about because I thought it should have been 1. They agreed and got the second one removed from my credit report. But by this time FNBO said that to approve me for the NRA card they'd have to pull my credit a second time and that they otherwise still "couldn't" (wouldn't) approve me for the NRA card. So I got to thinking about it...

My Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards card is a rotating category card like the Freedom and It, but it actually keeps the same category schedule every year - so Q1 is the same every year, etc. Gas is a category in Q1 and Q3, and when I looked closely at the points I was getting back on my 5% categories, it's actually giving 6% back, so I guess it's 5% on top of the base 1%. Plus, you don't have to enroll the card for the bonus categories each quarter like the other cards: it's automatic!

I could buy gas gift cards at the end of Q1 and Q3 for the next 3 months, but I'd rather keep my money in a high yield savings account (like with Insight) or my mutual fund than tying it up in gas gift cards...for Q2 and Q4, I'll use the Freedom or It (I actually don't have the It yet, but you know what I mean) if gas is a category with them, or failing that I'll fall back to my Vantage West Connect Rewards card which earns 3% on gas.

So I ran the numbers - I spend about $100 a month on gas. Basically a 5% gas card would be used when I would otherwise use the Vantage West card, so 2 quarters of the year (let's not even consider the Freedom/It possibility at this point, as a worst case scenario). So the difference I'm looking at is 2% of $600, or $12 a year. Not worth it to me - I have 7 other cards to apply for before even considering this lol.

Message 28 of 46
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

I live in the bay area and idk I did my research when it comes to gas and whatnot, I used it once and had poor mileage lol.
Message 29 of 46
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Bro! Thank you so much man, I'ma apply for the Nusenda credit card!

But the thing is with the NRA card, it's 5% Cash back all year long.
Message 30 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.