cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice for Chase Applications?

tag
Flint

Re: Best Practice for Chase Applications?

Thanks very much to everyone who gave me their input. I got approved for a Chase Sapphire at 23k and I was able to get some CLI's on my other CC's with soft pulls. So now I'm at 1/24 and really not too sure how to proceed. I definitely want to get a Chase Ink and I have my eye on a number of other cards as well. But maybe the app spree mindset that I was in years ago is critically flawed at this point in my credit journey and less is more. Some people have advised me to wait 3 months or 6 months before applying and some have advised me to go in branch to apply. If I apply for another Chase card in a month in branch, does this still put me at risk of Chase closing the card I was just approved for or is applying in branch a whole different ball game? And does the advice to wait 3 or 6 months before applying for another Chase card mean I'm also waiting 3 or 6 months before applying for any other card from any other issuer? 

Message 11 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Flint wrote:

Thanks very much to everyone who gave me their input. I got approved for a Chase Sapphire at 23k and I was able to get some CLI's on my other CC's with soft pulls. So now I'm at 1/24 and really not too sure how to proceed. I definitely want to get a Chase Ink and I have my eye on a number of other cards as well. But maybe the app spree mindset that I was in years ago is critically flawed at this point in my credit journey and less is more. Some people have advised me to wait 3 months or 6 months before applying and some have advised me to go in branch to apply. If I apply for another Chase card in a month in branch, does this still put me at risk of Chase closing the card I was just approved for or is applying in branch a whole different ball game? And does the advice to wait 3 or 6 months before applying for another Chase card mean I'm also waiting 3 or 6 months before applying for any other card from any other issuer? 

There is still an inherent risk regardless of whether the application is submitted through the branch or online.   It all depends on your risk tolerance and the DPs that have been shared on this site.   Personally, I'd space the next application at minimum 3 months.   Just keep in mind that Chase will be doing SPs on your CRs after this approval so in the event that you decide to pursue an application spree, you can potentially risk the chance of getting shut down.   Outcomes will definitely vary, but it depends on whether you are willing to take a greater risk. 

Message 12 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the huge approval @Flint.  Well done. 

Locking this thread as you have been approved.  Feel free to start a new approval thread in the Approvals forum if you would like to do so. 

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.