Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Time to Press the BoA Luv Button?

tag
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Best Time to Press the BoA Luv Button?

What's typically the optimum time to pull the trigger? Some people have said 3 months but I want to be sure before I decide to take a TU HP for it. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
uswala
Senior Contributor

Re: Best Time to Press the BoA Luv Button?

I did mine at 6 months and I got what I wanted. Also, I would say it is better to get it thru a CSR rather than online.

Message 2 of 19
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@uswala wrote:

I did mine at 6 months and I got what I wanted. Also, I would say it is better to get it thru a CSR rather than online.

I see. Good to know. What's the main benefit of doing it through a CSR rather than online? I also think waiting until that time might work best for me so I can let some of my newer accounts age more.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 3 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If we are talking about your $900 card compared to your other $5k cards you don't need to wait 6 months, maybe 30 days!

I would request $10k online... either the computer spits back instant counter or it goes for manual review and you usually see something by the following day online.

I don't see the benefit of calling other than if the computer doesn't spit back an instant counter they will transfer you to underwriting to speak with someone... if you don't mind speaking with someone than just submit it online and if it goes into processing call the backdoor number and bypass CSR completely and they can do an instant review with you on the phone and process.

Just tell them you have liked the experience with the card so far and would like to move it into your wallet for daily use but in order to do that it has to be higher limit than your current daily use card Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 19
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

If we are talking about your $900 card compared to your other $5k cards you don't need to wait 6 months, maybe 30 days!

I would request $10k online... either the computer spits back instant counter or it goes for manual review and you usually see something by the following day online.

I don't see the benefit of calling other than if the computer doesn't spit back an instant counter they will transfer you to underwriting to speak with someone... if you don't mind speaking with someone than just submit it online and if it goes into processing call the backdoor number and bypass CSR completely and they can do an instant review with you on the phone and process.

Just tell them you have liked the experience with the card so far and would like to move it into your wallet for daily use but in order to do that it has to be higher limit than your current daily use card Smiley Tongue

The reason I feel hesitant about requesting 10k is that I've never had any card with that big of a limit before and I don't wanna get into some kind of adverse action with BoA if I ask for too much. I try to be as conservative as I can with stuff like this. Also, my Discover card has been stuck at a tiny 500 dollar limit ever since I got it and I've asked for a CLI several times to no avail. I'm hoping that the fact that BoA gave me a better starting limit to begin with might lead to something but I'm just not sure.

I already have a checking account that I've used constantly and frequently with them since last year but I doubt they'd take that into consideration at all. 

Message 5 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

The reason I feel hesitant about requesting 10k is that I've never had any card with that big of a limit before and I don't wanna get into some kind of adverse action with BoA if I ask for too much. I try to be as conservative as I can with stuff like this. Also, my Discover card has been stuck at a tiny 500 dollar limit ever since I got it and I've asked for a CLI several times to no avail. I'm hoping that the fact that BoA gave me a better starting limit to begin with might lead to something but I'm just not sure.

I already have a checking account that I've used constantly and frequently with them since last year but I doubt they'd take that into consideration at all. 

I don't understand... are you concerned about you charging to much or BofA closing your account because you ask for higher CL.. that's I don't follow... some bank always has to be the one to offer you the highest limit on your credit profile! and if they are not comfortable going higher than $2k just because you ask for $50k they won't have an issue telling you so!!

Message 6 of 19
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

I don't understand... are you concerned about you charging to much or BofA closing your account because you ask for higher CL.. that's I don't follow... some bank always has to be the one to offer you the highest limit on your credit profile! and if they are not comfortable going higher than $2k just because you ask for $50k they won't have an issue telling you so!!

Not at all when it comes to charging too much. I'm all about getting good CLs that grow and everything. It's just the issue of BofA getting scared and closing my account. I guess all those Amex FR and Barclays horror stories are still in the back of my mind. 

I opened the card up last month BTW.

Message 7 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Not at all when it comes to charging too much. I'm all about getting good CLs that grow and everything. It's just the issue of BofA getting scared and closing my account. I guess all those Amex FR and Barclays horror stories are still in the back of my mind. 

yeah way to much worry about nothing!

if you research threads there are tons in the last year of people doing CLI monthly with BofA taking new accounts from soem of the lowest limits they had to some of the highest limits they had... and on multiple bofa accounts!

my friend did it with his fidelity card too!

Message 8 of 19
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

yeah way to much worry about nothing!

if you research threads there are tons in the last year of people doing CLI monthly with BofA taking new accounts from soem of the lowest limits they had to some of the highest limits they had... and on multiple bofa accounts!

my friend did it with his fidelity card too!

Alright. I might try it now just for kicks. I mean my statement generated the 15th of this month. Who knows. The rep I talked to at the time of approval said 900 was the most they'd give me so it's still hard to wrap my mind around how they could change all of a sudden.

Message 9 of 19
uswala
Senior Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@uswala wrote:

I see. Good to know. What's the main benefit of doing it through a CSR rather than online? I also think waiting until that time might work best for me so I can let some of my newer accounts age more.

I asked for my CLI online from $1100 to $5000. It was a HP on TU and I got only $3300. Then I do not know why I called them 6 days after this CLI and asked an analyst that I was looking for $5000 and got only $3300. He siad let me have a look. He came back saying that he has raised it to $5000 and said you deserve it but the computer is conservative at times.

So, I will always suggest calling in rather than online.

YMMV

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.