cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best card to apply for- thin credit file.

tag
Zenway

Best card to apply for- thin credit file.

Hi! I'm new here and thankful for any advice. I have good credit (775-790) but a thin file, and currently only have one old chase cc card in good standing with a 3k limit and zero utilization. I'm not very experienced with credit for my age- my husband closed some old joint cards (0 balance, perfect payment history) which now I realize was not the best choice- and we usually pay for things without credit. Now interested in expanding to have more credit, utilizing rewards, and will pay off everything in full each month. Except- we have an upcoming move and it would be great to do some of the furniture in installments. I also don't want to raise my utilization too much though and affect my score, so not sure what's best. Also looking at sometime in next year needing an auto loan. Sorry for the scattered info! Just wondering if anyone has advice on the best card to apply for to get the highest minimum limit, best for my situation, or if anyone recommends store cards (like the ikea one) for interest free spaced out payment for big items like furniture.  Just started focusing on this stuff! Income decent but not high- roughly 80k. Thanks! 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Best card to apply for- thin credit file.

@Zenway wrote:

Hi! I'm new here and thankful for any advice. I have good credit (775-790) but a thin file, and currently only have one old chase cc card in good standing with a 3k limit and zero utilization. I'm not very experienced with credit for my age- my husband closed some old joint cards (0 balance, perfect payment history) which now I realize was not the best choice- and we usually pay for things without credit. Now interested in expanding to have more credit, utilizing rewards, and will pay off everything in full each month. Except- we have an upcoming move and it would be great to do some of the furniture in installments. I also don't want to raise my utilization too much though and affect my score, so not sure what's best. Also looking at sometime in next year needing an auto loan. Sorry for the scattered info! Just wondering if anyone has advice on the best card to apply for to get the highest minimum limit, best for my situation, or if anyone recommends store cards (like the ikea one) for interest free spaced out payment for big items like furniture.  Just started focusing on this stuff! Income decent but not high- roughly 80k. Thanks! 

@Zenway  Are you a member of a credit union? Have you considered joining one?

CU's to join for Savings Rate now and possible Credit Products later!

Message 2 of 11
Zenway

Hi. Not a member of a credit union. Why would this be a good idea? ThanksSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Zenway wrote:

Hi. Not a member of a credit union. Why would this be a good idea? ThanksSmiley Happy

In general, they tend to be more generous with starting limits, APR, SUB Sign Up Bonus, promos, auto loans, etc.

I would recommend Navy Federal Credit Union (member restrictions), Pentagon Federal Credit Union, DCU, local, etc.

Message 4 of 11
Zenway

Thank you so much! I'll check that out. 

Message 5 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Thin File ...

Discover

Capital One

I am sure there are a few others.

Check the pre-qualify page .. I'd shoot for Discover first.

As Cap. One is (3) HP's

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/List-of-Soft-pull-PREAPPROVALs-Updated-11-29-...

edited for several spelling errors

Message 6 of 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Zenway wrote:

Thank you so much! I'll check that out. 

To assist you on your journey, I would recommend reading the below from credit_is_crack

The "Which Banks Pull Which Report For Apps" list

Message 7 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Zenway wrote:

Joining a credit union is a good way to diversify  .. away from main stream banks.

Message 8 of 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

Hi and welcome to the forums! 

You say you have an upcoming move - are you/will you be seeking a mortgage? 

If so, it's recommended not to open any new accounts in the 12 months prior to apping and securing your mortgage loan. 

If you're not seeking a mortgage, then app on -  i absolutely endorse the credit union suggestion and you may want to also consider Amex - they are thin-file friendly, usually generous with starting limits for those with clean credit and good income, and they can grow quickly with limit increases at 6 month intervals. You can try their pre-qualification page and see if anything pops up. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zenway wrote:

You should try to get prequalified first. They are soft pull meaning to say no inquiry on your report.  I have posted some links below for you to check if you have any offers. PenFed and Navy federal have good credit cards. They also offer low interest on other products.

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/preapprove/

https://www.discovercard.com/application/preapproval/initial

https://online.bbvausa.com/apply/credit-card-prequal

https://www.bbt.com/offers/checkOffers

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/check-for-offers/

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.