Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit card for 18 year old son?

tag
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Best credit card for 18 year old son?

I need your guys help please.

My son is 18 and still a Senior in high school. He has been an AU on 2 of my CCs since he was 16 and has credit scores now that are around 760. He will be going off to college next year but I want to get him his own credit card now if possible.

• Do you think it would be possible for him to be approved for a credit card seeing that he is still in high school and doesn't have a job?
  • What would he put down for income in the application?
  • Which lenders would be the best place for him to apply for this credit card?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
elixerin
Established Contributor

Re: Best credit card for 18 year old son?

Awesome! it sounds like he is ready for his first credit card and thanks to you, already has a big boost on it and his future.

-With 760 Scores its definitely gonna be pretty easy to get approved for most cards, i would check to see if its a FICO score or VantageScore first just to make sure.

-He should put his actual income on the app, whether is 5k or 500k, as he grows the card will too along with his income

-Best lenders i would say is one that he banks with first to see if you can get away with a card without a hard inquiry.. if the bank doesn’t offer cards or he simply doesn’t want that one, check Pre-Qualifications with Citi, AMEX, Discover, Chase, and Citi. CapOne requires being 21 years old for it’s tool... but the five i mentioned above are very reputable lenders and alot even here just stick with these guys, Best Wishes!
Message 2 of 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Student Discover for sure!

Message 3 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

To get a student card, he has to he 18 years old, and have some kind of income.
If he meets both criteria, Discover for sure.

Message 4 of 8
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

Does he currently have a bank account? If so I would check if they have a student card or a local CU. Discover student is also an excellent option was my first credit card and it has grown from 1K to 24K in 5 years
Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since he's only had the AU history, a Student card would likely be the best option starting out. Even though 760 is a very good score. Once they disallow AU accounts, as most banks do not count them. There will be nothing else reporting for him. 

Income should be whatever he pulls in on his own, such as part time job etc. If there is none, you could put down Parents if you still fully support him. Or whatever amount you provide him support with nad that he has access to might look better. 

As already been mention Discover, Chase, Citi and Amex. Or which ever CC he's already an AU on could be an option since they already know his background to an extent. 

Message 6 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

That's incorrect. Under 21, income has to be from employment, scholarship, and/or grants.
Household aka "parents" income is disallowed at that age due to CARD act.
Message 7 of 8
outofcredit
Established Contributor

My granddaughter is in a similiar situation.  She just turned 18 about a month ago.  I had added her as an authorized user on my Sony Card,  Discover and Bank of America Cash Rewards cards when she was 16.  My DH also opened her a NFCU membership and campus checking account at 16.  She started working part-time a month after her 16th birthday.  She is currently a senior in HS as well,  still employed at her original part-time job. 

The day after her 18th birthday my DH removed himself as joint owner on her NFCU accounts. The same day I helped her apply for a NFCU cash rewards card and CLOC.  She was approved instantly for the Cash Rewards card with a SL of $9600 at 12.49% APR.  The CLOC went pending and later the same day was approved for $3000. 

The same day she applied for the Discover student card and after submitting a copy of her ID, SS card and letter of college acceptance for the fall of 2020, she was approved for $500 CL.  She really has just basic needs and actually prefers using her debit card.  Her limits get minimal use but, hopefully, she will be building a strong credit profile that will be useful during her college years and beyond.  She has no idea that you can "carry a balance" on credit cards...we told her they must be paid in full when the bill comes.  For now, that's all she needs to knowSmiley Wink

Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, I've learned to dance in the rain.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.