Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best time to request a CLI?

tag
aircobra
Regular Contributor

Best time to request a CLI?

So, I have a US Bank Cash+ card that is about 6 months old. Has a $3000 limit and would like to get a CLI because I am taking advantage of the 15 month 0% I have, that and the balance is almost maxed out due to some unexpected expenses. I have yet to be able to request one online and I cannot do a HP right now since they'll pull TU. I also have a Discover card that got an auto increase a couple months ago. I know Discover likes to see heavy usage but do they not like when you carry a balance for a long time (still has 0% APR until the end of December). I have given up on trying to figure out how to get one for my Best Buy Visa, hopefully someone has experience with it.

Currently rebuilding:
1/18 -
7/19 -

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best time to request a CLI?

The best time to ask for CLIs is when your utilization isn’t high. Lenders like to give you credit when you don’t need it, not when you do. 

Message 2 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Disco doesnt mind when you carry a balance, you can smash that button anytime it is only a sp and right now seems there is a Disco gravy train going onSmiley Wink. Best buy is a hp usually. Sometimes a hp is worth it to get that breathing room of more cliSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 11
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

What’s your Discover CL and balance? From what I’ve read, they seem to be more generous when people BT to their Discover. Perhaps you can BT a portion of your balance over to reduce your US Bank balance and then work on paying both down.

Message 4 of 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

You could knock yourself silly trying to figure out Discover. Simply avoid dragging out a large balance while paying only the minimum. Otherwise, it seems that anything goes.

Make a request once your previous increase is 60 days old. After that, request 60 days after an approval and 30 days after a denial.

Message 5 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

If your card is under 6 months old, you have to call because it goes through UW

After that, link will show up online. There will be  TU pull

If you can be patient, US Bank is known to do auto CLI around 8th or 9th statement. Not everyone gets them, but if you can wait to see what happens, might save you a HP 

AS far as Disco, ask, I've gotten large CLIs with high utilization, and I got them with no use. Push the button and see what 8ball says 

Message 6 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@aircobra wrote:

So, I have a US Bank Cash+ card that is about 6 months old. Has a $3000 limit and would like to get a CLI because I am taking advantage of the 15 month 0% I have, that and the balance is almost maxed out due to some unexpected expenses. I have yet to be able to request one online and I cannot do a HP right now since they'll pull TU. I also have a Discover card that got an auto increase a couple months ago. I know Discover likes to see heavy usage but do they not like when you carry a balance for a long time (still has 0% APR until the end of December). I have given up on trying to figure out how to get one for my Best Buy Visa, hopefully someone has experience with it.

1. As long as you are maxed out, you will not get a CLI. And a HP anyway would be wasteful because unfortunately it would be a denial.
  2. It is untrue that Discover likes heavy usage. DPs have shown that those who hardly use their card get CLIs. Example: I got a $3K CLI in July with no usage in 7-8 months.
  3. Discover does not like high UT. I suggest getting your Discover card below 28.9% then ask for a CLI.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 11
aircobra
Regular Contributor

My US Bank card is the only one with the high UTI (as explained). My Disco has a balance of $700 with a $2300 CL. Anytime Disco has denied me a CLI (prior to the auto CLI a couple months ago), they made it seem like it was because I wasn't using the card.

Currently rebuilding:
1/18 -
7/19 -

Message 8 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@aircobra wrote:

My US Bank card is the only one with the high UTI (as explained). My Disco has a balance of $700 with a $2300 CL. Anytime Disco has denied me a CLI (prior to the auto CLI a couple months ago), they made it seem like it was because I wasn't using the card.

You’re probably getting insufficient experience with card. How long have you had it?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 11
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

I have a Discover card myself. SL was 7,500 did a balance transfer and put some spending on it also for 5% rewards. But haven’t really used it due to wanting to just pay it off. Balance is at 4,500. Got my first CLI last month of 2k making a total CLI now of 9,500. I have until 5-2020 to pay balance in full in order to avoid interest. Hope that helps.
NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 10,000 | Discover 17,000 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=757 | EX=760 | TU=771scores and CL current as of 08/22/22 AAoA years 6 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.