Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better to cancel credit card application or to verify SSN by mail

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Better to cancel credit card application or to verify SSN by mail

I applied for the Chase Slate Card last week and received the 30 day wait notice. I checked the automated application line and it stated that the application was never received. I called Chase at this number 877 470 9042 which I believe is the Chase Reconsideration line. Spoke with some one and the checked my application. They stated they needed to verify my SSN as I typed it in wrong by mistake. They told me they will send me a letter to with instructions to send my SSN number. I'm not to comfortable with doing that but will if I have to. I was wondering if I can cancel my application and re do it with no negative affect of my credit or should I just mail them a copy of my SSN? Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Better to cancel credit card application or to verify SSN by mail

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for the Chase Slate Card last week and received the 30 day wait notice. I checked the automated application line and it stated that the application was never received. I called Chase at this number 877 470 9042 which I believe is the Chase Reconsideration line. Spoke with some one and the checked my application. They stated they needed to verify my SSN as I typed it in wrong by mistake. They told me they will send me a letter to with instructions to send my SSN number. I'm not to comfortable with doing that but will if I have to. I was wondering if I can cancel my application and re do it with no negative affect of my credit or should I just mail them a copy of my SSN? Thanks

Verification of SSN is quite normal, as you  have stated you made a mistake and inputed the SSN wrong. They are protecting themselves and you the consumer.  No it would not have no negative affect on your credit if you decided to cancel the application.  Although I would just wait to see how you can send your SSN.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You will be wasting a hardpull by doing that.  Just send your SSN if you really want the card. Another thing you can do is bring it to a Chase branch and they will make a copy and send it over.

Message 3 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

As stated above, SSN verification is expected if you typed it incorrectly.  "Better" is for you to decide.  If you need/want the card then you need to verify your SSN.  If you submitted an app then assume you've incurred the hard pull even if you choose to cancel the app or not follow through with verification.

Message 4 of 6
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

As stated above, SSN verification is expected if you typed it incorrectly.  "Better" is for you to decide.  If you need/want the card then you need to verify your SSN.  If you submitted an app then assume you've incurred the hard pull even if you choose to cancel the app or not follow through with verification.

If op is concerned about a copy of his SSN card or such... Id go with Yes's idea and just do the verification In-Branch.... 

-J

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you don't have the consequence of the hard inquiry and you changed your mind about the card, then cancel the application. If you still want the card, then verify through the branch. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.