Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA Denied... Advice?

tag
Charmante
Frequent Contributor

BoA Denied... Advice?

Applied for the BoA Signature Rewards Visa today. Denied for only 3 reasons: Too many recently opened accounts (5 or 6 in 2020), too many Inquiries (10 in 2020), and No Banking Relationship...

On the banking part, how much would be enough to matter? If I throw $10k into a BoA Savings would that at all be enough to MAYBE take care of THAT issue?

How old do you think the new accounts must be? A year? 18 months? Or more...?

Lastly, I assume I have to allow most (7-8) of those Inquiries to hit 1 year old, right?

Scores are all 714-740 now, depending on Bureau. Total Revolving debt of $1,250. Utilization at 3% total.

10 REPLIES 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: BoA Denied... Advice?

Message 2 of 11
Charmante
Frequent Contributor

@simplynoir Thanks!

In 2010 I Burnt BoA... But since their only reasons are those above, they must have forgiven me, correct?

Message 3 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Depends on how much but that would be my assumption as well. This is presuming, of course, that they actually list ALL the reasons for the denial and not just a top 3

Message 4 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

If they didn't mention it on the letter it's possible that it is no longer a factor for consideration.

They still keep internal records of the previous loss and there's been a variety of DPs that mention even if eventually approved, they may cite the old account as a reason to deny potential CLIs.  But, every case and experience will vary.

Message 5 of 11
barca
Regular Contributor

Why don't you just slow down.

'you already opened 6 Accounts in 2020.

why don't you just garden for 1 year

Message 6 of 11
Charmante
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar I don't know if this matters, but the burn was NOT a card, but rather an Auto Loan (about a $7k loss) and a Checking (about $1.5k loss)... So maybe since it wasn't a card, that matters? IDK. Lol

Message 7 of 11
Charmante
Frequent Contributor

@barca Because ALL my baddies just fell off in November. My 4 of those 6 were starter/store cards. Now with my baddies gone and my well aged student loans rehabilitated, I'm finally able to get cards I actually use/want...

Message 8 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Charmante wrote:

@FinStar I don't know if this matters, but the burn was NOT a card, but rather an Auto Loan (about a $7k loss) and a Checking (about $1.5k loss)... So maybe since it wasn't a card, that matters? IDK. Lol

Well, it's possible you *might* be ok.  The checking account instance might be iffy, but I can't say for sure.  You see it from time to time that BoA tends to consider existing depository or investments relationship (profile-dependent of course).  We just don't know what is evaluated by AI [UW] algorithms these days.  In the event you are approved and the decision (or future growth of the card) is not influenced by those 2 factors, then great 👍.  

Message 9 of 11
MisterWives
Regular Contributor

@Charmante wrote:

Applied for the BoA Signature Rewards Visa today. Denied for only 3 reasons: Too many recently opened accounts (5 or 6 in 2020), too many Inquiries (10 in 2020), and No Banking Relationship...

On the banking part, how much would be enough to matter? If I throw $10k into a BoA Savings would that at all be enough to MAYBE take care of THAT issue?

How old do you think the new accounts must be? A year? 18 months? Or more...?

Lastly, I assume I have to allow most (7-8) of those Inquiries to hit 1 year old, right?

Scores are all 714-740 now, depending on Bureau. Total Revolving debt of $1,250. Utilization at 3% total.

I made a post about my BOA denial too was given the exact same reasons as you minus the too many Inquiries which is surprising because they pulled Experian which as you can see in my profile I had at the time 17 inqueries on there.

As others mention they seem to be following the new accounts 7/12 existing customer and 3/12 for non-relationship applicants so at 5/12 or 6/12 you are over without haing a relationship with them. Opening an account with them will probably help in your favor since they are a relationship bank, but to the amount I am not sure and believe they will sometimes deny you if there is too low of an amount or low amount of deposits as some have gotten that before. 10k sounds pretty good though

Wants: PenFed Pathfinder Rewards(4x pts travel), PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature (5pts Gas, 3pts Restaurants and Grocery), U.S. Bank Cash+ (5% Categories), Chase Freedom Flex (5% Rotating Categories, 5% Travel, 3% Restaurants)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.