Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA CLI on new account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA CLI on new account

When can you request a CLI with BofA? I’ve had my account since June. I put in a request a few days ago and just got a letter in the mail saying they cannot grant a CLI because my account has not been open for 12 months. I swear I’ve seen people getting them sooner.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: BofA CLI on new account

At 90 days, I was denied an increase with the reason given as "lack of relationship", I had (still have) no other accounts with them.  I decided to not try again, to see what would happen at my one-year mark. I received an auto-CLI of 4K on my anniversary, then approved for an 8K CLI shortly after that.

I believe others who've had success with CLI's had history with BofA, or put significant spend on the card.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My banking relationship is primarily with them. I also max it and PIF every month.
Message 3 of 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
When can you request aCLII withBofAA?I’vee had my account since June. I put in a request a few days ago and just got a letter in the mail saying they cannot grant aCLII because my account has not been open for 12 months. I swearI’vee seen people getting them sooner.

Usually, it's 90/91 days. It would probably be best to wait those 12 months as stated in the letter.

Other members might have a strong credit profile, heavy CC usage, and/or depository accounts

Message 4 of 11
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

For me, the CLI link appears every 90 days. 

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have any recommendations for getting higher lines with them?
Message 6 of 11
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Do you have any recommendations for getting higher lines with them?

Call them up and make your case.  Your relationship with them should help some.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous What is your current aggregate credit utilization?  Also what's your current TransUnion FICO 8 score?

I was able to grow a BofA Cash Rewards card from a starting limit of $2,000 in 2017 to $85,000 earlier this year without any banking relationship so its certainly possible in the right circumstances.  But, like most things in the world of credit, change is constant and its likely that BofA is tightening their lending standards in anticipation of a possible economic downturn.

Message 8 of 11
CramEiko
Established Contributor

@Gunnerboy wrote:

At 90 days, I was denied an increase with the reason given as "lack of relationship", I had (still have) no other accounts with them.  I decided to not try again, to see what would happen at my one-year mark. I received an auto-CLI of 4K on my anniversary, then approved for an 8K CLI shortly after that.

I believe others who've had success with CLI's had history with BofA, or put significant spend on the card.

+1

"lack of relationship" is also what I saw at first. It did grow from $6k to $45k in a year though. What I had to do was wait 6 mo & 1 day between requests.

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My TU fico is at 640. However it’s taking a hit because utilization is reporting at 65%. It hasn’t updated to reflect some cards that were recently paid off. It will be below 30 once those balances update.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.