Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Denial -- Please help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA Denial -- Please help!

Profile in siggy. I was instantly denied for the BofA Amtrak card (40k SUB).

I can't imagine why. They pulled Ex, which was just shy of 750 before their HP. 4% util overall, 13% on one card (Chase, which I thought would have already reported my PIF, though assuming was my fault). The only other factor is that I moved within the past couple months, though I've not heard of BofA doing ID verification like Chase.

Any ideas? Waiting for the letter is going to kill me...

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BofA Denial -- Please help!

You can try reaching out to UW via the backdoor numbers sticky thread and see whether they can provide you with the reasons before you receive the correspondence.

If denied due to verification, there is a possibility to rectify it. Otherwise, they're pretty much not prone for reconsideration. Just curious, how many inquiries or new accounts in the past 6-12 months?
Message 2 of 23
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Did you get an actual denial or was it just a 7-10 day message?  BoA sometimes does do outbound verification where they call and it can take them a couple of weeks to do so.

You aren't disqualified by their 2/3/4 rule either. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
You can try reaching out to UW via the backdoor numbers sticky thread and see whether they can provide you with the reasons before you receive the correspondence.

If denied due to verification, there is a possibility to rectify it. Otherwise, they're pretty much not prone for reconsideration. Just curious, how many inquiries or new accounts in the past 6-12 months?

Regular phone number just told me to wait for the letter; I might try recon tomorrow, though I'd rather not tick them off if they tell me to wait for the letter as well.

Ex had 2 HP in 6 mo and 3 HP in 12 mo (My most recent HP before today was for utility service). Only 2 new cards in 6 months; 3 in 12 months.

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion wrote:

Did you get an actual denial or was it just a 7-10 day message?  BoA sometimes does do outbound verification where they call and it can take them a couple of weeks to do so.

You aren't disqualified by their 2/3/4 rule either. 

"Unfortunately, we're unable to approve your credit card application at this time." Is the verification you mentioned in conjunction with that, or the 7-10?

Nope, not over 2/3/4 or 6/6. If they adopted 5/24 I suspect I wouldn't be the first to encounter it...

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible that I could have a low customer score for only using the 2/3% categories on my CR cards? My spend on them has not been huge, though I've been using the cards both regularly.

Message 6 of 23
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Nah it's highly unlikely that such reasoning played any role with getting declined. Though, I'd be curious to learn what the correspondence cites as the reason(s).
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
Nah it's highly unlikely that such reasoning played any role with getting declined. Though, I'd be curious to learn what the correspondence cites as the reason(s).

I'll keep the thread updated.

Additional point: my income is higher than my previous approval with them back in January, even after factoring in my higher housing payment. The only thing I see that could have spooked them is the 13% on the one card. I doubt that would instantly decline though.

Message 8 of 23
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I’m almost willing to bet it’s verification because you moved. So be prepared to fax a copy of you updated DL.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it’s address as well. Did you update your new address with them before applying?
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.