Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building my credit

tag
judokaal
Established Member

Re: Building my credit

Thanks for the feedback!
For the Chase Ink Cash I definitely can make a use for it- paying for liability insurance, equipment rentals/upgrades, in addition to putting my internet and phone bills on there.
My TU is currently 715, I think a few more months of tending the cards I have will help raise that more.

I have been thinking about diversification, Chase was my first move due to 5/24 and being a Chase customer, so I thought it would be low hanging fruit. I've been occasionally checking to see if i have any prequals that might change my immediate plan. I didn't have any for Amex until today, where the Delta Skymiles card popped up. With Discover, pre approvals for the Discover it® Cash Back and Chrome. I get offers all the time for the Citi AAdvantage card, so that might be another route to take. I do use uber a lot, so the Uber Card is a good alternative to look into as well.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as you don't have blinders on you should be good.

Chase can be finicky but, then again so can other lenders.  If you have 1 Amex pop-up then they're all pretty much fair game.  Disco is a good one to have even w/o the benefits they used to offer.  The Miles card offers 3% for the first year and then drops to 1.5%.  Citi has a 6/6 rule that you might be on the cusp of depending on how fast you move on cards and they usually pull 2/3 CR's when you app.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/67u9q0/guide_antichurning_rules/  Take a gander at this to come up w/ a plan before pulling the trigger on multiple apps.

Message 12 of 18
judokaal
Established Member

Any DP on if having a Barclays savings account is beneficial if applying for their cards?

Message 13 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@judokaal wrote:

Any DP on if having a Barclays savings account is beneficial on applying for their cards?

That would not provide any type of benefit with an application, unfortunately. 

Message 14 of 18
judokaal
Established Member

Sticking to the plan...
Current scores: FICO8 EX 697 | FICO8 EQ 731 | FICO8 TU 731
Card Statuses: 
QS1 ($500)- Just became a year old, payed the $39 AF. Only put Spotify and Tidal Subs on it at the moment + Autopay. I don't think I will get a CLI because of my low use. Is this the time to try PCing? Or should I add a phone bill on there a few months and see if that greases the wheel?
CFU ($3900) - Balance of $1119, with 0% APR until Jan when it turns 1yr, planning to pay that off by Nov/Dec
CSP ($5300) - Paid off some big charges on there, currently balance of $0/ planning to keep PIF

Barclay Aviator Red app successful! $4000 CL
Not an instant approval- it took 5 business days. I think I will use my SUB purchase to reactivate the american miles on my account- would that count as a purchase I would get the 2x on, or is it only for flight purchases? 
Update/Edit: Reactivating my miles does count, and least I get 2x on the the reactivation cost

Next up: Chase Ink Cash when I am done paying off the the CFU balance, sometime early 2020.

Message 15 of 18
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@judokaal wrote:

Sticking to the plan...
Current scores: FICO8 EX 697 | FICO8 EQ 731 | FICO8 TU 731
Card Statuses: 
QS1 ($500)- Just became a year old, payed the $39 AF. Only put Spotify and Tidal Subs on it at the moment + Autopay. I don't think I will get a CLI because of my low use. Is this the time to try PCing? Or should I add a phone bill on there a few months and see if that greases the wheel?

Unfortunately, you are most likely bucketed by Cap1 on your QS1. My QS1 started off at $300 CL, increased to $500 after 6 months, $1000 in a year, $1100 after 15 months and I could not get any further CLIs. I called and spoke with a CSR who told me that I would never be able to PC the card. I called back several times and was told the same thing again and again. It was suggested that I apply for the card that I wanted and then close the QS1. 

The QS1 was the first card in my rebuild and because my scores were probably low is why the card was bucketed. Even with my scores near where yours are now, it was a NO GO!

I called just before my AF was due and asked again for a product change to the QS with no AF. I was told they could not PC the card. That is when I closed the account. 

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 16 of 18
judokaal
Established Member

Just movin' along...
Current scores: FICO8 EX 730 | FICO8 EQ 762 | FICO8 TU 749
Card Statuses: 
QS1 ($0/$600)- Approaching 2yr Anniversary end of next month, I will try for a product change- otherwise just close it
CFU ($0/$3900) - A few recurring expenses, keeping PIF
CSP ($0/$7800) - Got the rare Chase Auto CLI a few months ago! Been keeping it PIF
BAR ($0/$7000) - Paid off a Balance Transfer done last September, and got an Auto CLI from $4,000 to $7,000 2 months ago, want to downgrade to the Aviator White before the annual fee hits in September

Business Cards - win!
Applied for both the Chase Ink Business Cash and AMEX Blue Business Preferred this year, and was accepted for both! Both have 0% APRs until early next year, paying these down. Have been putting some of my larger expenses on these with my work being covid-imapcted. Trying to keep the ding to my personal credit minimal.
CIB ($3182/$6900)
BBP ($2521/6200)

No immediate apps in the future, just want to get my scores up - I have a few inquires falling off next month (3 on TU, 1 on EQ), and that paid off Aviator Red should report next week, which will bring my util down to that 0/1% area. Let the Gardening continue, I have 3 monre inquires that fall off in the next 6 months...this board has been so helpful!

Message 17 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

As there has been no discussion of the application process for any cards in a year, this thread is now closed.  OP, congrats on your success and feel free to start approval threads in Business Credit for your new cards and in Credit Card Approvals for your CLIs.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.