cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burned CITI, will they approve a secured card?

tag
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Burned CITI, will they approve a secured card?

Burned Citi for about $18,000 in late 2016, it was a CHP 7 BK.

It was the best card too, a Visa Signature Hilton card with 2 free nights free per year, which I used at Waldorf Astoria (once in NY, once in Chicago)

Since I burned them for such a big amount, would they take me back with their secured card, ever?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Re: Burned CITI, will they approve a secured card?

BUMP

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Typically Citi will not approve legacy cards if there is a BK present.

However there have been approvals for the secured card with a BK present. https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/2nd-app-s-a-charm-Citi-secured-MC-approved/m-...

There have been even more approvals with a BK present for Citis retail cards. https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Costco-Visa-w-BK-reporting/m-p/4674775?search...

You burned them for quite a bit.....so that will definitely have an affect on the outcome. You can try them pre-quads to see if anything will come back or you can just roll the dice. But no one here can give you a solid yes/no. 

Good luck! 

Message 3 of 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

I included a couple Citi cards in my 2010 BK7. I believe their secured card is available only in branch, and folks who IIB'd Citi have gotten approvals for secured cards. I also include one BoA CC for $9k and they approved me for a secured card in 2015, got it unsecured in only 8 months, and today it's a Cash Rewards card w/$5k CL, but I don't believe Citi is so accomodating.

Yes, you can get Citi retail cards with a BK on your report and IIB'd Citi, but those don't get you into Citi legacy cards. I had a Citi Best Buy MC they took over from HSBC/Cap One and they did give me a $1k CLI, but I closed it when they wouldn't budge on the $59 AF HSBC stuck it with. And I have a Citi Sears MC w/$4k CL. But when I app'd for a Citi Simplicity card earlier this year it was an instant denial, which I expected and hoped to recon. But when the letter arrived it not only cited my BK but also said "previous unsatisfactory relationship";  I took that as a pretty firm No Way Jose and didn't try to recon.

So that's after 9 years. You might possibly get a secured card after only 3 years, but I wouldn't hope for a return to a Visa Signature Hilton card  for a very, very long time. I would look for greener pastures.

Message 4 of 8
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Thanks Dave.

Yeah that Hilton Signature Card was amazing. Shame on me for messing it up!

Definitely learning a lot from these forums though.

Message 5 of 8
CountryLad
New Contributor

@Hockeypnc1 wrote:

Thanks Dave.

Not sure if you're looking for a Citi card or Hilton. From the sound of your post, seems you might be looking for a Hilton card. If that's the case, Citi no longer offers Hilton. Hilton cards are only offered by AmEx. You'll need to visit AmEx if you're looking for Hilton. Best of luck!

“If you wish to get rich, save what you get. A fool can earn money; but it takes a wise man to save and dispose of it to his own advantage.” ―Brigham Young
Message 6 of 8
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Oh gosh, I wish I would have also added that I had a $11,000 AMEX Hilton card (no annual fee!) that I also burned in same bankruptcy.

I also had a Delta AMEX Platinum ($150 annual fee, I think) that I burned for about $2000.

AMEX actually started to sue me, and started a judgement process. I GOT SERVED. Which is what made me decide to contact a BK lawyer and make the ultimate choice to do the BK 7.

But yes, it's Hilton that I am looking for!!

@CountryLad wrote:

@Hockeypnc1 wrote:

Thanks Dave.

Not sure if you're looking for a Citi card or Hilton. From the sound of your post, seems you might be looking for a Hilton card. If that's the case, Citi no longer offers Hilton. Hilton cards are only offered by AmEx. You'll need to visit AmEx if you're looking for Hilton. Best of luck!

Message 7 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Hockeypnc1 wrote:

Oh gosh, I wish I would have also added that I had a $11,000 AMEX Hilton card (no annual fee!) that I also burned in same bankruptcy.

I also had a Delta AMEX Platinum ($150 annual fee, I think) that I burned for about $2000.

AMEX actually started to sue me, and started a judgement process. I GOT SERVED. Which is what made me decide to contact a BK lawyer and make the ultimate choice to do the BK 7.

But yes, it's Hilton that I am looking for!!

@CountryLad wrote:

@Hockeypnc1 wrote:

Thanks Dave.

If you IIB'd both Citi and AmEx , it will likely pose a challenge to re-established those relationships, unfortunately.  More than likely, the Citi secured route may not pan out anytime soon if their internal database cross-references any IIB account.  Your best bet is to wait 5-7 years and see if that route may yield some fruit.  As far as AmEx (as the current Hilton CC partner), you're looking at minimum of ~10 years to give it a try, although some have reported success before 10 years, but more the exception than the norm for IIB profiles.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.