Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bypassing 5/24?

tag
CivalV
Established Contributor

Re: Bypassing 5/24?

Give it time! Good luck and definitely update us! 

@MyFault wrote:

@CivalV wrote:

I would go in branch open up a savings or checking and then have the rep check for preapprovals. I've had a chase checking for years and had no clue about the preapprovals in branch. I went in a few months back with nothing reflecting on my online account and yet I was prepproved for all of the Chase cards.. The rep even showed me on his screen. I was shocked. At some point I started to see prequalified on cobranded cards and that is how I got my Marriott Bonvoy card. 

I just opened up a checking & savings today for the $500 SUB. Money is being transferred, and I may stop in a branch next week to ask if I have any offers. But I'm not expecting anything at all, while over 5/24, especially in this climate. 

Message 41 of 43
CivalV
Established Contributor

Yeah that is what happened to me. I never prequalified and never saw any credit card offers up until I went into the branch 

Message 42 of 43
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

@MyFault wrote:

I know 5/24 is an unwritten rule. I know most are denied automatically if they apply for a CC while at or over 5/24. However, i'm curious if anyone has any success stories of approvals, outside of green and black stars within the app, or pre-approval in the United app for the Explorer card.

I'm certain i'll be denied, obviously because i'm at 6/24, but i only have a handful of HP's so i've tossed the idea of cold apping the UA Explorer card just to see if i could beat the odds. lol.

But since the UA Explorer card SUB is crap, and i don't expect to travel via plane without my fiance until late next year (she has Explorer card, and i can use her priority boarding), i'm just fine with waiting for a potential pre-approval or getting under 5/24. 

The Freedom on the other hand, was never really on my radar because it would only truly be beneficial to me for 1 quarter ever year (groceries), the rest of its categories don't align much with my spending... However, with the 5x back on grocery spend for 1yr up to $12k. I really wish i was under 5/24 lol. I could pretty easily max that $12k or come close within a year.

I get that a lot of people think they can try to beat the "rules", but i'm curious of data points and experience from those who actually have.

I have no checking/savings with Chase, so i assume going into the branch to ask about "in branch pre-approvals" is useless. However, 95% of my monthly spend goes on my CSR and CFU so they make a good ammount off of me in transaction fees.

Well I recently applied for the swa priority card in 9/20 and it set me at 5/24. And seeing the changeover of freedom to a Mc applied for the card a week later and got approved

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 43 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.