Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC Advice Citi Premier

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CC Advice Citi Premier

Looking for some thoughts and opinions on a credit card application that I am just not sure about. My girlfriend really isn't into credit as much as I am, for both of us. So this question is regarding an application for her. Current situation is:

she is 750 on credit scores across the board 

current report utilization shows 750$/11300

has a 6.3k sapphire preffered and is an AU on a 5k Amex bc preferred

1 pull on 8/30/21, from chase credit limit increase request

38k income

Average Age is over 2 years 

We have been browsing and I have 2 major questions about the cards we are considering to get her, we want a good card and a good bonus is nice to have also.

I believe best case scenario would be an application for the citi premier but after reading some user experiences with denials I am a little worried about a denial. It seems most of the qualified people that are getting denied are because of 1-2 credit pulls or too many accounts. With only one pull 7 months ago well outside of any of the citi un-written/written rules I think she would get it, I'm just worried she may be denied for something but don't know honestly. Any thoughts, comments, concerns?

question 2 is does anyone know if she is already an authorized user on an Amex blue cash preferred can she apply for one for herself and get it? She would be approved I'm sure I'm just not sure if they allow that, so anyone with any experience? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: CC Advice Citi Premier

Hello and welcome to the forums 

Denial is always a possibility. 

Who is worried about a denial, you or her? 

Also, does she really want Premier or did you decide she needs another travel-lite card in addition to CSP? 

Any particular reason why not stay in Chase ecosystem if travel is goal, or are you looking for a good SUB only?   

I don't see any obvious reason why she wouldn't get approved other than thin file, but I don't think that's a deal breaker. One HP from while ago isn't that much of a big deal. 

Yes, she can apply for her own Amex, her status as AU isn't relevant for that purpose.  

Message 2 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking for some thoughts and opinions on a credit card application that I am just not sure about. My girlfriend really isn't into credit as much as I am, for both of us. So this question is regarding an application for her. Current situation is:

she is 750 on credit scores across the board 

current report utilization shows 750$/11300

has a 6.3k sapphire preffered and is an AU on a 5k Amex bc preferred

1 pull on 8/30/21, from chase credit limit increase request

38k income

Average Age is over 2 years 

We have been browsing and I have 2 major questions about the cards we are considering to get her, we want a good card and a good bonus is nice to have also.

I believe best case scenario would be an application for the citi premier but after reading some user experiences with denials I am a little worried about a denial. It seems most of the qualified people that are getting denied are because of 1-2 credit pulls or too many accounts. With only one pull 7 months ago well outside of any of the citi un-written/written rules I think she would get it, I'm just worried she may be denied for something but don't know honestly. Any thoughts, comments, concerns?

question 2 is does anyone know if she is already an authorized user on an Amex blue cash preferred can she apply for one for herself and get it? She would be approved I'm sure I'm just not sure if they allow that, so anyone with any experience? 

No one can say ahead of time how her application will fare. It's a good card.  And her credit score is good. 

Yes if she's an AU on the BCP she can also get one in her own name.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

Hello and welcome to the forums 

Denial is always a possibility. 

Who is worried about a denial, you or her? 

Also, does she really want Premier or did you decide she needs another travel-lite card in addition to CSP? 

Any particular reason why not stay in Chase ecosystem if travel is goal, or are you looking for a good SUB only?   

I don't see any obvious reason why she wouldn't get approved other than thin file, but I don't think that's a deal breaker. One HP from while ago isn't that much of a big deal. 

Yes, she can apply for her own Amex, her status as AU isn't relevant for that purpose.  

thanks for the reply! She gets discouraged with a denial, cap one denied her 7 years ago and I can still get her riled up about that. She's not super interested in credit cards so keeping any discourgaement out of it would be good. 

As for the card the bonus is very tempting and that's probably the biggest factor, but it was a toss up between than and the Amex before I knew she could get one even those she is an AU on another, so I imagine we will go with that honestly for the 6% grocery. But 300$ extra bonus is tempting as well as it being another good card.

I don't see her ever having more than 4 cards that she's the primary on so I was hoping to branch out, I have my toes dipped in most everything for the bigger variety amongst us.

thanks for the reply!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right I know, it was more of just a sanity check for me, sounding board.

thanks for the info on the Amex, I think we may actually go with that 

Message 5 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Well, denials aren't the end of the world.

On a positive side she's judicious about her applications, so while that removes some of the denial reasons (credit seeking), it also means she's not accustomed to trying with possibility of failing 

Frankly, if Premier is what she wants, she should go for it.  It's not a bad card at all, SUB is great, definitely worth pushing a button.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.