Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI Denial with Barclay

tag
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

CLI Denial with Barclay

I applied for Barclay's Rewards MC about a year ago after receiving an offer in the mail. My initial CL was $2,000 (biggest at the time) and they did approve a CLI a few months later. I asked for $5,000 and they countered with $3,000. 

Over the weekend, after my success with BOA's love button, I decided to hit the Barclay's love button and got the 7-10 day message. Today, I called into Barclay's recon line and was denied due to too many new accounts. They also mentioned that they like to see large payments. I've been carrying a balance for several months as it is at 0% until early 2015.

I was thinking about applying for an Arrival+ WEMC in December or January, but I'm not sure of my odds now. I'll probably try to PC this card to Barclay Ring once the 0% offer expires. Ain't nobody got time for 19.99%!

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: CLI Denial with Barclay

Don't apply for the Arrival. Postpone it by a few more months at the very least. Nothing much is going to change between now and January. Just give the new accounts time to age. Barclays is known to be new account sensitive.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 21
JSS3
Valued Contributor

@WLRK11 wrote:

I applied for Barclay's Rewards MC about a year ago after receiving an offer in the mail. My initial CL was $2,000 (biggest at the time) and they did approve a CLI a few months later. I asked for $5,000 and they countered with $3,000. 

Over the weekend, after my success with BOA's love button, I decided to hit the Barclay's love button and got the 7-10 day message. Today, I called into Barclay's recon line and was denied due to too many new accounts. They also mentioned that they like to see large payments. I've been carrying a balance for several months as it is at 0% until early 2015.

I was thinking about applying for an Arrival+ WEMC in December or January, but I'm not sure of my odds now. I'll probably try to PC this card to Barclay Ring once the 0% offer expires. Ain't nobody got time for 19.99%!

LOL!

Message 3 of 21
uswala
Senior Contributor

@WLRK11 wrote:

That is what barclays people always tell me, we want to see excessive usage and utilization of your credit line!! They do not want to see low utilizations! I have given up on them.

Message 4 of 21
Involver
Valued Contributor

They definitely like to see usage and will reward it even with numerous new accounts. I got a pretty heft CLI on Sallie Mae after running about 8-900 per month through it and had I think 8 new accounts reporting after that account was opened.
Message 5 of 21
Legal_Girl
Frequent Contributor

Their APRs are just ridiculous.. Maybe people would use more of their credit limits if the % rate wasn't so high.  Some months I pay all my cards off and some months I pay some of them off and some months I don't owe anything on any of them.  Barclay is NOT a good one to not pay off monthly.  But they definitely like to see balances in order to get a CLI.. Gee that may be why I haven't gotten one lately.

If you can PC to another card that will have a 0% for 12 to 15 months, go get 'em.  

Homeowner Again as of July 17, 2014. Thanks to the VA and NFCU. FICOs EQ - 786/EX - 782/TU - 778/Quicksilver $3,500 / Cred 1 $2,875 / 1st Natl $4,250/ Kohls Visa $5k / Mercury MC $5,850 / NFCU Visa Sig Cash Rew $27k/ Lowes $25k / Best Buy Visa $11k/ NFCU LOC $15k / Walmart MC $7.5k / Chase Freedom Unlimited $1,500 / Discover IT $27,000 / Discover IT Chrome $21,500 / Citi DC $7,300 / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $17,500 / Citi Simplicity $18,500 / Citi Premier $8,200 / Care Credit $10k/ AMEX Gold - NSL / Chase Sapphire Preferred $20,500
Message 6 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Legal_Girl wrote:

Their APRs are just ridiculous.. Maybe people would use more of their credit limits if the % rate wasn't so high.  Some months I pay all my cards off and some months I pay some of them off and some months I don't owe anything on any of them.  Barclay is NOT a good one to not pay off monthly.  But they definitely like to see balances in order to get a CLI.. Gee that may be why I haven't gotten one lately.

If you can PC to another card that will have a 0% for 12 to 15 months, go get 'em.  

For the majority of people whose credit profiles are not considred mid to top tier by Barclay's, sure.  Yet I use my 3 Barclays CCs very frequently.   Plus all of them have fairly low APRs and decent CLs but I PIFand I don't revolve balances.

Message 7 of 21
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@FinStar wrote:

@Legal_Girl wrote:

For the majority of people whose credit profiles are not considred mid to top tier by Barclay's, sure.  Yet I use my 3 Barclays CCs very frequently.   Plus all of them have fairly low APRs and decent CLs but I PIFand I don't revolve balances.

I personally just think they want to see a solid pattern of useage to get a CLI.  Not being 50 dollars a month, but more as they like swipe fees as do any creditors.   I really don't think it hurts if you charge 500-800 or whatever number that is a decent amount and do a PIF so you don't get charged interest.  Credit profile obviously play a role in a CLI with any lender as well.  They can SP you and see what other CC you might be using more then them and decide not to do one due to that as well if you are running very little through them

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Involver wrote:
They definitely like to see usage and will reward it even with numerous new accounts. I got a pretty heft CLI on Sallie Mae after running about 8-900 per month through it and had I think 8 new accounts reporting after that account was opened.

Hope its the same with me then! I have run an average of $1300 a month through my Sallie Mae since I've had it!

Message 9 of 21
Shock
Established Contributor

i have been pushing a minimum of 1k thru barclays per month and paying all of them in full. utilizing and paying off. no CLI's my way though. but my 6th statement is due to cut tomorrow i think...they aint showing me no love.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.