cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI on previously high utilization cards?

tag
hellohum
Valued Member

CLI on previously high utilization cards?

I wasn't sure where to ask this but here it goes.

I have a few cards I have had for several years, got in my mid twenties, where I was trying to be responsible (no late payments) but wasn't prioritizing low utilization and wasn't making much money so I have some cards that have been at 70%+ utilization the majority of time I've had them up until the last year or two. Now I have most cards paid off and unused (except to keep active) and anywhere from 5-15% utilization.

My question is is it even worth trying to ever get cli on these cards? Or did I miss my opportunity to do so but not using them well when I got them.

Right now and for the next probably two years I am just gardening and focusing on cli and using points/% back properly. I was planning to only focus on my newer cards assuming my older cards are a lost cause but just was wondering if that is in fact the case?

It would specifically be my Chase Amazon Visa, Quicksilver One and Nordstrom Visa that are older, and my Apple, Target and Discover that are newer and what I planned to focus on. 

tia. 

TU: 702 EQ: 698 EX: 678
Apple $3000 / Citi Doublecash $3000 / Capital One QuicksilverOne $2350 / Nordstrom Visa $2200 / Discover It $2000 / Amazon Prime Visa $1500 // Macy’s $5300 / Saks $2500 / Target $1500 / Ulta $1500 / Kohls $1500 / Victoria’s Secret $1500 / Sephora $1000 / Meijer $900 / Walmart $600 / TJX $200
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: CLI on previously high utilization cards?

@hellohum wrote:

I have a few cards I have had for several years, got in my mid twenties, where I was trying to be responsible (no late payments) but wasn't prioritizing low utilization and wasn't making much money so I have some cards that have been at 70%+ utilization the majority of time I've had them up until the last year or two. Now I have most cards paid off and unused (except to keep active) and anywhere from 5-15% utilization.

My question is is it even worth trying to ever get cli on these cards? Or did I miss my opportunity to do so but not using them well when I got them.

Right now and for the next probably two years I am just gardening and focusing on cli and using points/% back properly. I was planning to only focus on my newer cards assuming my older cards are a lost cause but just was wondering if that is in fact the case?

It would specifically be my Chase Amazon Visa, Quicksilver One and Nordstrom Visa that are older, and my Apple, Target and Discover that are newer and what I planned to focus on. 

If anything, they probably liked that high usage you were putting on their cards! From my experience, plus what I've gleaned here, it's when you're *not* using a card very much that they shy away from increasing your limit. From what you've said, I don't think there's any black mark on your accounts for how you've used them.

But one thing pops out right away: the Cap1 card. Cap1 is notorious for putting cards in a 'bucket' (where you're never going to see a CLI), and since yours is a 'One' card (sub-prime), it's more likely that it's been bucketed. But not because of anything you did or didn't do. That's just how Cap1 is. My only experience with Cap1 cards is with their prime cards--and I never get CLIs! Same for lots of other people around these boards.

Bottom line is that you have nothing to lose by requesting a CLI for any/all of those cards--as long as they don't do hard pulls. (Or if you're okay with a hard pull.) At least then you'd have some idea of where you stand. They may decline your request--but offer reasons that help you understand why. For example, they may say your income is too low, or your history is too short, etc. Then you'll be able to work on the problem areas and ask again later.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 2 of 9
firefox100
Valued Contributor

If you wher never late then banks are going to love you they made money on the intrest you paid over the years go head and ask for credit increase only if they do soft pull. Capital one most likly not give you an increase but it can't hurt to ask for increase they only do soft pulls, on other hand Chase does hard pulls but if you wher never late then I think that chase would give you some increases, good luck.

Message 3 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@hellohum wrote:

It would specifically be my Chase Amazon Visa, Quicksilver One and Nordstrom Visa that are older, and my Apple, Target and Discover that are newer and what I planned to focus on

tia. 

You can definitely give some a try and see if it yields anything.

Capital One, Apple Card/GS, Discover and Nordstrom are SP reviews. The Target RedCard currently doesn't have any options for customer-initiated requests, they'll auto-CLI whenever -- definitely update your income on the site and you can also let a very small balance report periodically for consideration -- no guarantees, but that seems to work for some folks. Chase will be a HP for any CLI requests, so unless you need it, I wouldn't bother. If you use it considerably, then there's a possibility it can receive an auto-CLI at some point.

Message 4 of 9
hellohum
Valued Member

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@hellohum wrote:

If anything, they probably liked that high usage you were putting on their cards! From my experience, plus what I've gleaned here, it's when you're *not* using a card very much that they shy away from increasing your limit. From what you've said, I don't think there's any black mark on your accounts for how you've used them.

But one thing pops out right away: the Cap1 card. Cap1 is notorious for putting cards in a 'bucket' (where you're never going to see a CLI), and since yours is a 'One' card (sub-prime), it's more likely that it's been bucketed. But not because of anything you did or didn't do. That's just how Cap1 is. My only experience with Cap1 cards is with their prime cards--and I never get CLIs! Same for lots of other people around these boards.

Bottom line is that you have nothing to lose by requesting a CLI for any/all of those cards--as long as they don't do hard pulls. (Or if you're okay with a hard pull.) At least then you'd have some idea of where you stand. They may decline your request--but offer reasons that help you understand why. For example, they may say your income is too low, or your history is too short, etc. Then you'll be able to work on the problem areas and ask again later.

Thanks so much! 

Can I ask about bucketing? My Q1 card actually started at $500, so I have gotten auto cli's on it, I've never asked for one. and one was fairly recent. I don't know if that means I'm having good luck with them or just haven't been bucketed yet. 

Apple $3000 / Citi Doublecash $3000 / Capital One QuicksilverOne $2350 / Nordstrom Visa $2200 / Discover It $2000 / Amazon Prime Visa $1500 // Macy’s $5300 / Saks $2500 / Target $1500 / Ulta $1500 / Kohls $1500 / Victoria’s Secret $1500 / Sephora $1000 / Meijer $900 / Walmart $600 / TJX $200
Message 5 of 9
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Message 6 of 9
hellohum
Valued Member

@Adkins wrote:

See this post about bucketing, @hellohumhttps://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Card-Asset-Backed-Securities-ABS-and-w...

Thanks so much!! 

Message 7 of 9
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@hellohum wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

See this post about bucketing, @hellohumhttps://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Card-Asset-Backed-Securities-ABS-and-w...

Thanks so much!! 

You're welcome! 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 8 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@hellohum wrote:

tia. 

I don't see any reason why that would preclude you from getting a CLI today, so no reason not to apply at Discover and Capital One.  But Chase is hard pull, and I don't know anything about Nordstrom, Apple, or Target.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.