Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I ever get off the Amex blacklist?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I ever get off the Amex blacklist?

About a decade ago, I had an Amex blue card. I was young and irresponsible and didn't pay my bills on time. Eventually, Amex closed down my account and sent the bill to collections. I paid it off. I'd like to one day be eligible for Amex cards, but is there any way to know you're off the blacklist?

I've checked the pre-approval offer checker and Amex always says there's none available. However, a couple years ago, my company gave me an Amex corporate credit card with an unlimited spending limit. I had no issues with Amex then, but from what I've read it's near impossible to get off the blacklist, esp after an account has gone to collections and paid a charged off amount.

I've heard becoming an authorized user and establishing credit history again with Amex may get you off the blacklist. Does the new Amex signup bonus eligibility checker (popup) during the application process also weed out if your ineligible in general? I don't want to apply and risk a HP only to get automatically denied for being on their blacklist. 

Any success stories on how to get back in Amex's good graces? Appreciate any insight you guys can provide!

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Can I ever get off the Amex blacklist?

I created an amex blacklist data point thread. Don't remember what it's called, but if you search, it should come up.

The only way to know if you're off the blacklist is to apply. If you get an inquiry, you're off the list and eligible. If you get auto-denied and don't receive an inquiry, you're still blacklisted. Luckily, you paid what you owed (not settled, I hope) so you'll be off the blacklist sooner than later.

Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course you can! When you die, hey, you're off the list!

Ok, that is one way. But reading your post, I honestly think you would be off the blacklist now. Have you applied for a card? That is a great first step, since if you are still blacklisted, nothing happens. No HP, just declined immediately. If you are good to go, you'll get a fairly low limit card but you'll be back in the family.

I would apply, if I were in your shoes. Please let us know the results. Best of luck!

Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I LOL'd at your post! Smiley Very Happy

However, I doubt dying would get one off the blacklist. 

I didn't realize if I apply and I'm still blacklisted, that I won't get a HP!! This is great news. Now, I just need to see which Amex card is the best fit for me. Thank you!

Message 4 of 36
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Maybe you should start with one that's easier to get approved for like a delta gold or blue, prg, or blue. You know, ease in as your first limit will probably be low. Once you've reestablished, you'll get better response and handling with better cards.

Message 5 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll try to find your post!

I think I settled (it was so long ago and I kept bad records), but I may have paid the full amount with the debt collection agency. Not positive.

I didn't realize there's no HP if I apply and am still blacklisted!! I'll def look at diff cards and see what's the best fit. I'm going to apply for a Chase cc first since I'm under 5/24 and Chase is notoriously tough to get if you're over that.

The Blue Cash Preferred gives 6% back on groceries/3% gas. And there are some with an AF that are appealing. What's your favorite Amex card? 

Message 6 of 36
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I currently dont have a favorite as I just got off the blacklist with them, myself. I'll probably get a prg again and maybe a cash magnet or delta gold and downgrade to blue in a year. I'm just waiting until my scores are high enough to even bother apping.

Message 7 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing! Congrats on getting off the blacklist. Your story gives me hope Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 36
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Greetings,

Just as a DP; I've seen several people post about being denied as an AU after defaulting on AMEX so the one idea may or may not work.

I think the punishment time depends upon if they were paid or not.

I've seen 10 years if not paid so if you're a decade beyond, you might be off the naughty list. **fingers crossed**

Good Luck! 

Cheers.gif

ETA: ROFL @zipperhead

Message 9 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've read in some previous topics that AMEX will not pull your credit if you are still Blacklisted. It wouldn't hurt to try. As far as getting off the BL, it is definitely a possibility as others have done it. It's probably just a matter of timing and showing them how you have now managed the rest of your cards responsibly since. Think positive, I think you will be back with them again soon.

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.