cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I ever get off the Amex blacklist?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I ever get off the Amex blacklist?

AMEX won't forgive from what I've seen.  I have a friend who charged up $40K to an AMEX, ditched it, and they placed a judgement against him for 10 years.  They have the power to renew that once more for another 10 years within the next 2 years.  So they can hold, and have held, a derog account against someone for up to 20 years.  Now, granted, that's in FL.

He's likely on their blacklist forever.

Message 11 of 36
BlueSea
New Contributor

I'm blacklisted. Applied 2 times this and last year. No HP.
Message 12 of 36
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

About a decade ago, I had an Amex blue card. I was young and irresponsible and didn't pay my bills on time. Eventually, Amex closed down my account and sent the bill to collections. I paid it off. I'd like to one day be eligible for Amex cards, but is there any way to know you're off the blacklist?

I've checked the pre-approval offer checker and Amex always says there's none available. However, a couple years ago, my company gave me an Amex corporate credit card with an unlimited spending limit. I had no issues with Amex then, but from what I've read it's near impossible to get off the blacklist, esp after an account has gone to collections and paid a charged off amount.

I've heard becoming an authorized user and establishing credit history again with Amex may get you off the blacklist. Does the new Amex signup bonus eligibility checker (popup) during the application process also weed out if your ineligible in general? I don't want to apply and risk a HP only to get automatically denied for being on their blacklist. 

Any success stories on how to get back in Amex's good graces? Appreciate any insight you guys can provide!

1.0   You were NEVER on their blacklist to begin with. Never heard of Amex selling off debts to third parties so you must have paid them off completely thru their collections department which in turn your account never got "Charged Off to bad debt status", hence NOT triggering a Blacklist on their system.

2.0  Just because you don't pre-qual DOES NOT constitute you as being blacklisted.

3.0  An exact proof that you were never on their BL as you would have never gotten a company authorized charged/credit card or authorized user card with Amex if you were on that list. 

So go right ahead and app away with Amex!!! 

Your EX8 score is primed for a $10K SL with them!! And yes you can quote me on that!!

Smiley Happy

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 13 of 36
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@JR_TX wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

About a decade ago, I had an Amex blue card. I was young and irresponsible and didn't pay my bills on time. Eventually, Amex closed down my account and sent the bill to collections. I paid it off. I'd like to one day be eligible for Amex cards, but is there any way to know you're off the blacklist?

I've checked the pre-approval offer checker and Amex always says there's none available. However, a couple years ago, my company gave me an Amex corporate credit card with an unlimited spending limit. I had no issues with Amex then, but from what I've read it's near impossible to get off the blacklist, esp after an account has gone to collections and paid a charged off amount.

I've heard becoming an authorized user and establishing credit history again with Amex may get you off the blacklist. Does the new Amex signup bonus eligibility checker (popup) during the application process also weed out if your ineligible in general? I don't want to apply and risk a HP only to get automatically denied for being on their blacklist. 

Any success stories on how to get back in Amex's good graces? Appreciate any insight you guys can provide!

1.0   You were NEVER on their blacklist to begin with. Never heard of Amex selling off debts to third parties so you must have paid them off completely thru their collections department which in turn your account never got "Charged Off to bad debt status", hence NOT triggering a Blacklist on their system.

2.0  Just because you don't pre-qual DOES NOT constitute you as being blacklisted.

3.0  An exact proof that you were never on their BL as you would have never gotten a company authorized charged/credit card or authorized user card with Amex if you were on that list. 

Your EX8 score is primed for a $10K SL with them!! And yes you can quote me on that!!

Smiley Happy

Amex has Global Collections which does all their collections. It is a 3rd party, but the only collector they use. Also, you can have a corporate card while being blacklisted. There are plenty of people in here that can confirm. You can also become an authorized user while being blacklisted, but it's highly unlikely.

Message 14 of 36
drboxing
Established Contributor

Had Amex Platinum 2006, filled BK included Amex, just got off blacklist 2017(read others got off earlier) I have Amx Delta blue and Platinum, Amex Biz Platinum. My niece tried Amex pre approval but had nothing, she applied anyways for Delta blue and was approved

Message 15 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@JR_TX wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Happy

Amex has Global Collections which does all their collections. It is a 3rd party, but the only collector they use. Also, you can have a corporate card while being blacklisted. There are plenty of people in here that can confirm. You can also become an authorized user while being blacklisted, but it's highly unlikely.

Can confirm, though this isn't Amex in my case. I IIB'ed Chase in my 2014 BK on a Visa to the tune of over $13,000, so I'm pretty sure I'm blacklisted with them until the BK leaves my report. That being said, when I got my current job (with the Federal Government) in 2015, I was issued a GSA SmartPay Chase MasterCard for use on business travel (I haven't had occasion to use it yet, though).

Message 16 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone who's posted their experiences! I can't remember which collection agency, whether I settled or PIF, but the balance was never >$10k (I think). It was pretty low, I think... Either way, it's good to know that I can apply and if I'm blacklisted and get denied, there will be no HP!

Going to raise my credit score into the high 700s before applying to increase my approval chances and make sure I get a high SL and low APR.

Really grateful for myFico forum and all its users! Thank you Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

i wonder if co-branded Amex cards would block you if you're blacklisted? i just joined penfed CU and since they do a HP when you join, i was able to get them to reuse the HP to open the pathfinder amex. got approved today!

CRA: equifax
FAKO score (credit karma): 749
avg CL: $7.5k
SL: $7.5k
APR: 16.74%
Message 18 of 36
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Congrats bud, but they only use the amex payment network so it has nothing to do with centurion bank. Their co-branded cards would be like the Delta.

Message 19 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

interesting... good to know. guess i'll just have to bite the bullet one of these days and see if i get approved. thanks for sharing this info!
Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.