Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Seem to get CLI with Chase Sapphire

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't Seem to get CLI with Chase Sapphire

I've had my Sapphire Reserve for over 3 years with my original $10k limit. I charge, on average, around 35-40k every month and pay in full, but I have to do some major acrobatics when I need to make large purchases and my limit is only 10k. Have never had a late payment. Have also had an Ink Business Plus for 5 years with a $2k limit which I use regularly and always pay on time. Am also an AU on a United card with 5k limit that I use heavily (10k/month) and pay in full as well. My only other card is a Cap One with a $2500 limit and always pay in full. My Experian score is 720 but my TU and and EQ scores are 680 and 667. My only ding is an AMEX charge off with original delinqunecy date of Nov 2012. Supposedly this should have fallen off last month and sure enough it does not show on my Experian report. I've tried applying for a CFU and got denied. I called and asked for a limit increase on my Sapphire card and got denied.  I have both personal and business checking accounts with Chase. I keep thinking....wouldn't Chase see my spend activity and flawless payment history and say , "hey, maybe this customer should have a limit increase? " I obviously dont know what their thought process is, but I'm not seeing any love from Chase. Does anyone have any advice as to how to approach them?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DoctorManhattan
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can't Seem to get CLI with Chase Sapphire

What are the reason(s) they are denying you? They usually give some sort of explanation in a denial letter.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s the AMEX charge off. It keeps reporting every month as a delinquent account.
Message 3 of 10
DoctorManhattan
Frequent Contributor

Hmm well make sure that it is no longer reporting before requesting again and try to keep your total utilization between 1-9 % in total and on the actual card you’re requesting the CLI on. Also make sure the utilization is actually reporting before requesting! Hope this helps for the future and there are other posts on this site that can help regarding chase cards.
Message 4 of 10
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It’s the AMEX charge off. It keeps reporting every month as a delinquent account.

So -- since it's updating monthly it's an unpaid charge-off....?   That's probably a big part of why Chase won't grant a CLI at this time.   The way they see it - if you haven't paid your outstanding debt in all of these years, you're high risk, so why would they grant additional credit?  When they send you the CLI denial letters there should be reasons for the denial noted.  Is  something like 'previous derogatory account' one of the reasons?

If the Amex account was due to fall of your reports last month - contact TU & EQ and ask them for an Early Exclusion.   TU will delete 6 months before the scheduled drop date and EQ one month before -- tho the account should've fallen off by now if the Date of First Delinquency (DOFD) was 11/2012- TU/EQ may have a slightly different DOFD (they shouldn't, but it happens).  Once it's off your reports, wait about a month and try for a CLI again.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say just pay the charge off so it stops updating but since it's falling off soon, that's up to you. Either way, request a CLI again after it's either been paid or falls off report.

Message 6 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

+1 to above

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's an update: I applied for the Chase Business Unlimited card yesterday and got denied. Called recon line and went through some questioning. Explained the reason for AMEX delinquency and that I've had excellent payment history last 6 years. Rep came back and approved the card! My first yes from Chase in  4years and coudn't be happier. There is definitely hope out there for all those that have been carefully rebuilding their credit, just takes much patience and persistence. Thanks to all for your replies, this forum is amazing.

Message 8 of 10
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

Right on! Congrats on the recon approval. It's nice to hear a holiday treat can be granted by Chase.

Message 9 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

As OP has been approved for a new business card this thread is closed to further comments. OP is free to start an approval thread in business credit if so desired
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.