cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get credit cards, due to too many inquiries.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't get credit cards, due to too many inquiries.

I've just got rejected by citi double cash, due to too many inquiries. 

After I got my first discover credit card, I was just so eager to improve the credit score that I even applied several times when I actually had no credit score.

Those chases guys told me that I just needed to put more money in the saving account. They asked me to ask them to help me apply and it failed every time.

Now, after 6-month waiting, I finally got my credit score and credit reports. 

My credit is fine 695-718. It's just that there are too many inquiries 6-11 in varies reports. 

I don't know what to do right now.

What should I do to help get a credit card?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

Re: Can't get credit cards, due to too many inquiries.

Wait a year before re-applying..

Total Credit Line- $89,300| Personal- $78,650 | Biz- $5,650
Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's just I plan to finance a new car this year.

I totally regret to apply for chase freedom so many times, as I later came to know it's the hardest one to get approved.  

Message 3 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Inquiries are typically a relatively small factor.  If you're cited for "too many inquiries" then there are bigger issues with your credit profile than inquiries.  Inquiries can have a bigger impact for those with thin profiles and/or profiles with issues.

@Anonymous wrote:

It's just I plan to finance a new car this year.  

Were you not aware of that plan when you applied for everything else and applied multiple times?  You always need to consider both long term and short term goals.  At this point there's nothing you can do but ride it out until the impacts from the new accounts taper off a bit.  IIRC accounts are considered new until 2 years old.  Inquiries do not have a scoring impact after 1 year but don't fall off your reports until 2 years and a creditor can consider anything on a report even if a scoring model doesn't factor it in.  You'll have to wait until next year, find a cosigner or find another solution that doesn't rely on immediately using just your credit.

@Anonymous wrote:

My credit is fine 695-718.

It's never just about score.  Your profile just isn't able to handle the amount of credit seeking activity that you've had recently.

@Anonymous wrote:

It won't help you with this situation but carefully plan out your new credit applications to avoid this in future.  If you're intending to get credit for a major item like an auto or home then make that a priority and defer your card applications until the big ticket item's financing is finalized.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much!

I was thinking that having mutiple credit cards may help me get a good car loan.

My credit file is very thin, only 6 months.

OK, I'll do nonthing from now on and just wait.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is tons of great advice here OP!

My file is also only 6months old and I am doing okay at the moment, listen to everyone here they know best (admittedly I have ignored them on ocasion)

At 6 months I was able to get 3 new credit cards with scores around your area, but again it is not just about scores, I have a perfect payment history, and a considerable yearly income. (You probably have all of these also)

Synchrony might would approve you if you are insistent on getting a new card. I have the Marvel Mastercard and enjoy it. (Marvel will most likelly look at your transunion)

I have around the same amount of inquiries on my report, and a thin file, well not to thin, VonMaur,Capital one, Fingerhut are all 6months old, and Discover and Kohls are 5 months old. (the perfect payment history on all 5 accounts may be what helped me get approved)

My AEO, Marvel, and my banks amex are all from this month, when I finally produced scores and hit 6months of history. ( The limit on my banks amex was a shock to me, it is issued by Elan Financial; which is the credit company my bank uses)

If you don't mind paying a premium for clothes/home good's Fingerhut is an okay credit card, admittedly I hardly use it. If they cant approve you for a revolving account they will offer you a freshstart account that will graduate to a revolving account. (That is what I did)

VonMaur is a department store (I love them) I only shop online with them, they will most likely approve you if you can show proof of sufficient income. (I am not making any promises YMMV) The card is fee free and interest free! They do free shipping and free giftwrap, and the customer service is U.S. based.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, this is only my suggestions nowhere in this did I promise you would be approved for anything; these are only based on my experiences. We are here to help you as much as possible!

Message 6 of 19
greent
Frequent Contributor

If you want a car I suggest you get in the garden. Just work on getting CLI that are SP. No more apping. Keep 10% UTIL. Good luck.

Message 7 of 19
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Join DCU credit union, or NFCU. NFCU is not inquiry sensitive, plus they have good rates on car loans

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

After I got my first discover credit card, I was just so eager to improve the credit score that I even applied several times when I actually had no credit score.

Those chases guys told me that I just needed to put more money in the saving account. They asked me to ask them to help me apply and it failed every time.

My credit is fine 695-718. It's just that there are too many inquiries 6-11 in varies reports. 

you think you have too many Inquiries, i have 33 on my TU and i don't care, i keep applying and i keep getting Approved and Declined Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My suggestion would be to apply for a Barclay Rewards card. If you get turned down, garden for 3 months.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.