cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you get a 2nd Chase Slate card if you have one already?

tag
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Can you get a 2nd Chase Slate card if you have one already?

My gf has a Slate and a Freedom chase card. 

Since she is looking for a zero fee balance transfer offer, I was wondering if Chase would approve a 2nd Slate card and honor their zero fee intro offer on that card. 

She already used the existing Slate card a few years ago for a balance transfer offer back then and paid it off at the end of the promo. 

The available credit lines on both cards is very small at 7k combined (have not done CLI requests on these 2 cards since they are hard pulls?) and she has not used them at all for purchases. 

Any insight on this is appreciated thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can you get a 2nd Chase Slate card if you have one already?

IIRC, Chase will likely not approve a 2nd Slate card if she currently has an active/open account. She may need to PC the Slate to another product, like CFU or a 2nd CF, for instance.

If approved, she can then merge the PC'd (CFU/CF) card into the new Slate or PC it back to Slate at some point. Not sure that having 2 Slate CCs provides much of a benefit, but those are some options.

Just keep in mind that the Slate may be in the early phases of retirement/conversion so plan any CC strategies accordingly.
Message 2 of 7
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Thanks FinStar!

If my luck with Amex continues and I get her a new Everyday Card,  I will not be needing to get anywhere near Chase, but I need to understand this strategy you are suggesting as a backup plan. I had no clue you could do any of this with Chase, if you don't mind and excuse my fried brain thanks to Amex....

If I understood you correctly, she could call and ask to get her Slate card converted to any other card, to then apply for the Slate and if approved then she can request to get her other 2 existing cards merged into the new slate, resulting in 1 new slate card with a combined credit limit? This has to be done over the phone right?

That would work great as she does not need several cards, just one with a good bal tr offer and zero fee, but a higher credit limit. 

Thanks for the strategy! 

Message 3 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

But wait, there's more 😜...

Whenever a PC occurs, you/she needs to let the system cycle out the existing Slate being converted to whichever core product she decides, either CF or CFU. This can take 3 weeks or up to 30 days to cycle. Otherwise, let's say she applies as soon as the existing PC takes place, the application will be declined because their internal records have not cycled out the PC. And there goes a wasted HP.

So, as long as timing is not the issue, this can be feasible. Otherwise, consider a back up plan to your back up plan 😁.

So, potentially, if she is approved for the (new) Slate card, she can eventually have all Chase CCs and CLs reallocated to 1 CC.

As far as a PC, my recommendation is to do it by phone. Same with any CL reallocations.
Message 4 of 7
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

ha! There's always more ....and.... I hit a snag with Amex for her. 

She was getting the dreaded pop up so I tried the referral link strategy that worked for me to get rid of it, but didn't work for her. 

I tried my own referral link with her and then her own referral link and the pop up showed up the same. 

So whatever conclusion I got from my own experience is out the window, too bad I can't update that thread as it was immediately locked when I posted success and it would have been useful for people to know this is a hit or miss kind of thing. 

So back to a finding a backup plan for the back up plan as we are just 3 weeks away from the deadline for her. I hear that bank of america has a zero fee bal transfer card? 

It might still be a good idea to call in today to get her slate converted to something else and get that going anyways. 

How do you know when is the right time to apply after you have PC ? Do you have to call their credit department or someone in particular to know when it has cycled out of the Slate and it's safe to apply?

thanks again Fin

Message 5 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Superduper2014 wrote:

ha! There's always more ....and.... I hit a snag with Amex for her. 

She was getting the dreaded pop up so I tried the referral link strategy that worked for me to get rid of it, but didn't work for her. 

I tried my own referral link with her and then her own referral link and the pop up showed up the same. 

So whatever conclusion I got from my own experience is out the window, too bad I can't update that thread as it was immediately locked when I posted success and it would have been useful for people to know this is a hit or miss kind of thing. 

So back to a finding a backup plan for the back up plan as we are just 3 weeks away from the deadline for her. I hear that bank of america has a zero fee bal transfer card? 

It might still be a good idea to call in today to get her slate converted to something else and get that going anyways. 

How do you know when is the right time to apply after you have PC ? Do you have to call their credit department or someone in particular to know when it has cycled out of the Slate and it's safe to apply?

thanks again Fin

Bummer, sorry to hear about the AmEx "pop up"/referral anomalies.  That's why it's always good to have a 'plan B' just in case.  And, yes the BoA BankAmericard CC displays the following offer:

• 0%† Intro APR for 15 billing cycles on purchases, and any balance transfers made in the first 60 days. After the intro APR offer ends, a Variable APR that's currently 15.24% to 25.24% will apply.
  • $0† Intro balance transfer fee for the first 60 days your account is open. After the intro balance transfer fee offer ends, the fee for future balance transfers is 3% (min. $10).

As far as Chase, there really isn't an exact timeframe for the system cycle.   Unfortunatley, CSR's may not know that level of detail as they can only confirm the card is either closed or PC'd, but they can't see what the backend system does.  Most DPs usually suggest waiting 30 days to avoid the application being declined (i.e. existing product) or not being eligible for a SUB or offer where applicable.

Message 6 of 7
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Just to throw it in - Citi Simplicity is a good BT card as well to keep in mind. Also Discover is another option. You may be able to get a higher limit with Discover as well.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.