cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you get a second secured Navy Federal card?

tag
lurkingagain4929
New Visitor

Can you get a second secured Navy Federal card?

I just got my first navy federal secured card in the mail and activated it. Next month i will be applying for a second secured card and just wanted to find out if Navy would allow me to turn around and open a second secured card?

Is there a waiting period with them to open or would it use the same hard pull if i did it now? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MissLiz
Regular Contributor

Re: Can you get a second secured Navy Federal card?

According to NFCU's Program Description,

"Cardholders who have more than one Navy Federal nRewards account may not combine rewards points," so it appears that you can, though I'm not sure why you would want more than one.IMG_9689.jpeg

“A woman’s best protection is a little money of her own.” – Clare Boothe Luce
Message 2 of 10
MissLiz
Regular Contributor

I would also like to add, if you're interested in obtaining a second secured card, I recommend Discover. They only pulled EX for me. If you're concerned about the possible Capital One and Discover merger, your secured card will have graduated long before that (possibly) happens. 

“A woman’s best protection is a little money of her own.” – Clare Boothe Luce
Message 3 of 10
lurkingagain4929
New Visitor

@MissLiz Thank you for the info. Getting a second secured card with Navy; using the same hard pull; gaining easy graduation and getting the ability to product change both cards or combine the credit limits and close one... would benefit me Smiley Happy  Also I really am trying to stay off the Capital One train..... but I will probably get a discover secured anyway as it is a good card. Thanks again

Message 4 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@MissLiz wrote:

I would also like to add, if you're interested in obtaining a second secured card, I recommend Discover. They only pulled EX for me. If you're concerned about the possible Capital One and Discover merger, your secured card will have graduated long before that (possibly) happens. 

This is excellent advice. My biggest advice on establishing credit or rebuilding is to go Discover secured as it has been shown that most people can graduate in around 7 months and it's a fantastic card. Easy to use just pay on time and voila!. Now if only my coworker will finally take the plunge hahaSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@lurkingagain4929 wrote:

@MissLiz Thank you for the info. Getting a second secured card with Navy; using the same hard pull; gaining easy graduation and getting the ability to product change both cards or combine the credit limits and close one... would benefit me Smiley Happy  Also I really am trying to stay off the Capital One train..... but I will probably get a discover secured anyway as it is a good card. Thanks again

It's my understanding Navy won't reuse the hp for the first. My recommendation would be stay with one secured Navy  allow it to graduate and leave your other two possible Navy slots open . As for combining limits dont really count on it as that can be hit or miss with Navy , sometimes it can depend on your circumstances. It only takes one secured card to establish or reestablish  history for credit or a lenderSmiley Wink

Message 6 of 10
CreditPoor
Regular Contributor

This is true NFCU will not reuse HP, so getting a second secured would require a new HP. I would as others suggested use that HP on Discover 

Message 7 of 10
md_rebuild
Regular Contributor

I don't see the point of 2 NFCU secured cards.   I was in your same position, got the NFCU secured, Discover secured, waited until they unsecured (can't remember but no longer than 6-7 months), then apped for Cap 1 Quicksilver, then it was off to the races.

BK7: Discharged Sept 2019
6/5/24:

Message 8 of 10
keekers
Established Contributor

@MissLiz wrote:

I would also like to add, if you're interested in obtaining a second secured card, I recommend Discover. 

Agree with this.

Message 9 of 10
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

When I had the Navy Secured card, I was able to add to the deposit to increase the limit. You might want to inquire about that rather than getting another card.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.