Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 CLI denied

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap 1 CLI denied

Like I said, I can understand the denial for it being too new. But as I said, I do stop myself sometimes and just use debit or another card to avoid getting even closer to the limit (before I made the payment).

I’ll just sit tight and see what happens in the future
Message 11 of 21
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous, Capital One will increase at three months if they feel inclined to do so. Six months is much more common.

As far as reason #4, Capital One likes to see about three months of substantial spending before triggering a CLI offer. You're doing the right thing. You simply have to do it a little longer.

A theory I have is that your starting limit might be high enough that it's too high for token increases. What I'm suggesting is that 1k increases may be out but that they'll happily give you 3k once they're ready.

I'm basing that on what happened with one of my cards. It had a 7.4k limit, and all I wanted was a $600 increase so the limit would end in three zeros. Smiley Happy Previously, the card had had three 1k increases and one 3k increase. So I spent fairly substantially, figuring I'd trigger a $750 or 1k offer, with the idea of accepting $600. That was a no go two months in a row. After a third month of spending, they offered 3k. I took 2.6k.

Message 12 of 21
kdm31091
Super Contributor

There’s no recon available for Capital One. What the computer decides is the final decision. I’d just give it more time and history and try again later. Not much else you can do.
Message 13 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi will tend to give up a SP and HP CLI before the first 6 months but, subsequent CLI's are a mandatory 6 month interval.  I'm not even sure they would do a HP CLI outside of the waiting period if you called them to do so.

Not to digress from the main topic, but since Citi was brought up, it is not a 'mandatory' stance for a variety of products (core/cobrand) or profiles.   While it may be often the case, some legacy products are able to qualify and obtain a CLI in less than the 6-month interval (via SP) from a previously approved increase.  As with anything credit related, it's all YEMV.   I've been able to get CLIs on Dividend, AA AmEx, TYP AmEx and others in less than 6 months (via SP) from the last approved increase.  Plus, I'm sure I'm not the only one. 

Message 14 of 21
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you have your CR's locked/frozen?

Has it been at least 6 months since your last attempt?

With Cap One it is 6 months since last CLI, not last attempt.   If you are denied you can try again anytime. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 15 of 21
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Like I said, I can understand the denial for it being too new. But as I said, I do stop myself sometimes and just use debit or another card to avoid getting even closer to the limit (before I made the payment).

I’ll just sit tight and see what happens in the future

Capital one likes usage.   If you are worried about your util, just pay some of your current charges before the statement cuts to keep your util in check.   Cap One knows what you are charging, so if you charge and pay 6K through your card in a month they know it even if your statement only shows a balance of $200. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone!
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heres my recent expirence with Cap1 and CLIs my Plat that got PC'd to a QS was a part of the credit steps program, initial CL was $300 then after the 5 monthes went up to $500.

They are strict on the 6th monthes, I tried every month for some kind of increase. its a SP so why not?

Now the card sees maybe $20 a month at best. I went to hit that button again @ a day after my 12th statement told them I wanted $1k and they countered back with $100 bringing me up to double of what my initial CL was.

I'm just gonna hang tight untill I can roll my QS1 into my QS, but if the feature isnt back before my 12 month mark on the QS1, maybe i'll get lucky with it too.

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:.
I'm just gonna hang tight untill I can roll my QS1 into my QS, but if the feature isnt back before my 12 month mark on the QS1, maybe i'll get lucky with it too.

So I have to ask your hoping to PC your QS1 to a QS? If that’s the case, it won’t happen. I PC from Plat to QS1 to Venture1….Same bucket terms when I applied for 4 and half years ago. Im stuck at $4500 CLI…I honestly don’t know why any would want to have a AF card with Cap1…points are not that much different from the QS1 OR Venture 1.

Message 19 of 21
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Capital One will won't grant a CLI until six months have passed since the last one. Don't bother asking until the six months have passed. If it's been more than six months since your last CLI, ask as often as you'd like as there'll be no penalty for denials. Once a month is probably reasonable.

@Anonymous, definitely persue an upgrade on your QS1, keeping in mind that QS1 upgrades are difficult and that you shouldn't allow yourself to get frustrated. Data points here indicate that consecutive months of usage may be a key to generating an offer. Use the card each month, and request an upgrade each month. You can pay right away if you'd like as it's not necessary for a positive balance to cut on your statement. I was able to upgrade two QS1 cards after 12 or 13 consecutive months of usage.

If you're offered an upgrade, don't be picky. Take what you can get as long as there's no annual fee. Once you've converted to a no-fee card, other product change offers will likely start to appear after six or more months have passed.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.