cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 QS & Venture, prequalified finally but.......

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap 1 QS & Venture, prequalified finally but.......

OK I have the qs mastercard.  I was approved in November for $1k.  Increased to $3k in Feb.  I just did the pre-qualifer for them.  I am now prequalifed for the venture AND qs visa.  

Here is my dilemna.........We are trying to get in NFCU.  DH qualifies based on his dad being retired air force.  If we get approved, then I will piggy back and get my own membership.  THEN I will apply for their card and LOC.  

Do I go for the cap 1 cards, wait for NFCU, or do both? lol  My current inquiries are EQ - 3; EX & TU - 2.   We want to buy a house some time this year.  Will going for both cap 1 and NFCU cause any red flags in the mortgage process?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap 1 QS & Venture, prequalified finally but.......

I would hold off on any applications till house loan is secured.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohhh something I left out that is kind of key ..........

I was an AU on one of the DH's cards.  That was how we got my credit file boosted in November when I started building.  He closed that card last month when he got the qs and venture card.  I lost 18 points.  I think it was because now I only have one major credit card and 2 store cards (VS & OS)  I will get one card to replace that and see if I can get the points back.  The card I get will have a higher credit line though.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would stick with just the NFCU until after the mortgage.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know who NFCU pulls?  I know cap 1 will pull all 3 so that is something I have to keep in mind.

Message 5 of 8
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

I believe that NFCU will pull TU for membership and then EQ for any of their products, and they are pretty HP happy, so expect pulls for everything LOL. 

And if the information I have read here is correct, you wouldn't want any applications or inquiries or anything at least 6 months before you attempt a mortgage, the longer the better, of course.

Good luck!!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

We found out today NFCU does a HP for membership.  I don't get that but it is what it is.  DH dropped 3 pts for that inquiry and his TU scores are already the lowest.  So if we proceed with either the LOC or their rewards card, they pull AGAIN?  Sheesh, I thought Cap1 was bad which is why we were leaning to NFCU but now it is a no win situation.  

I think NFCU is the direction we are leaning.  We don't want all of our credit in cap 1's basket.

Message 7 of 8
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We found out today NFCU does a HP for membership.  I don't get that but it is what it is.  DH dropped 3 pts for that inquiry and his TU scores are already the lowest.  So if we proceed with either the LOC or their rewards card, they pull AGAIN?  Sheesh, I thought Cap1 was bad which is why we were leaning to NFCU but now it is a no win situation.  

I think NFCU is the direction we are leaning.  We don't want all of our credit in cap 1's basket.

They will pull again for credit products, but you can't compare NFCU and Cap1. Navy will grow with you and offer you a lot more than Cap1 ever could. I wouldn't worry about those Inq now as you're gaining a lot more than you're losing.

Current Score: EQ 699 TU 719 EX ? as of April-2016

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.