Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 two personal cards rule solution?

tag
ficomember
Contributor

Cap 1 two personal cards rule solution?

Hello I have one cap 1 personal card and quicksilver card. I'm thinking of canceling the quicksilver since I hardly use it. Once it's closed, does that mean I can pick up another personal card such as the current 100k miles venture card? If yes, how much time I should wait before applying? I also have two business cards with them but it's my understanding those don't count against the 2 cards rule.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Cap 1 two personal cards rule solution?

Yes, you could. I'd wait 6-12 months before applying for that new card. What's the "personal" card though? Did you mean Platinum?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 15
ficomember
Contributor

Yes the platinum card. Low CL but that's my oldest and first ever card, so don't want to cancel it. Unless I can upgrade to something else that's useful! 

back to the subject, I hope that 100k miles is still around for another 6 months 😂

Message 3 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You can check for an upgrade on your platinum here: https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Card&Action=ProductUpgrade

And well, you can try re-applying maybe in 3 months if you'd like. I was just suggesting waiting a bit longer to maybe put more time between the closure and a new app.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 15
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Secured, Platinum, QuicksilverOne and *maybe* Walmart and BuyPower don't count towards the 2 card rule.  Venture, Savor, and QuickSilver do.

I have the QuicksilverOne, Platinum, and BuyPower.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 5 of 15
ficomember
Contributor

@rostrow416 wrote:

Secured, Platinum, QuicksilverOne and *maybe* Walmart and BuyPower don't count towards the 2 card rule.  Venture, Savor, and QuickSilver do.

I have the QuicksilverOne, Platinum, and BuyPower.

Oh to confirm, are you saying that my platinum doesn't count against two cards rule? I do have quicksilver so that's 1. 

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The two card rule applies to their starter cards- platinum, journey, and quicksilver one I think. 

You can only have up to two of those. You can have up to 5 total Capital One cards. This is according to the terms stated when applying for their other cards like Savor, Venture, and Walmart card. I have three Capital One cards.

Message 7 of 15
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The two card rule applies to their starter cards- platinum, journey, and quicksilver one I think. 

You can only have up to two of those. You can have up to 5 total Capital One cards. This is according to the terms stated when applying for their other cards like Savor, Venture, and Walmart card. I have three Capital One cards.

+1. You do not need to close any cards to apply for the Venture. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 8 of 15
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Just looked at the offer:

100,000 miles SUB with $20,000 spend in 12 months.  (I know we would never be able do that.)

Looking forward to see you get this SUB @ficomember !

Message 9 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

Just looked at the offer:

100,000 miles SUB with $20,000 spend in 12 months.  (I know we would never be able do that.)

Looking forward to see you get this SUB @ficomember !

That sounds like a lot, but it comes out to only about $1667 a month. If you factor in car insurance, homeowners insurance (maybe), groceries, dining, entertainment, gas, and perhaps rent if one could manage to work that in there, it wouldn't be too bad. Basically using it as a daily driver for a year. I suppose it largely depends on one's income and monthly expenses.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.