Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Brings Me Crashing Back Down to Earth

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 Brings Me Crashing Back Down to Earth

So, got a rude awakening earlier this week from Cap 1.  After all of the success stories of $10k+ SLs and researching minimium FAKOs (which is the problem, really), I decided to risk the triple-pull and go for the Venture One (as it would arrive at just about the time I hit bonus on the AAdvantage card).

My FICOs are all above 700 (with the exception of EQ, which is showing at 695, but that score is also 32 days old and should be updating), including 717 on EX.  But, as we all know, Cap 1 doesn't do FICO.

I've complained here before (once or twice Smiley Wink ) about how my FAKO scores are 50-80 pts BELOW my FICOs.  I've been messing around with the Simulator on the Cap 1 webiste, and no matter what I do, I cannot get my FAKO above 680, still a significant amount below my actual FICO.  Also, I mentioned that my FAKOs took a 20 pt hit when my BT debit hit a few days before my BT payment (moving over to a 0% card, because I can).  The dip lasted literally about 48 hours.

I waited on the letter as to why I was denied, to only receive it today.  Evidently my EX FAKO is only 633, 25 pts BELOW my other FAKOS, and 84 pts BELOW my EX FICO (currently and historically my highest FICO).  That was the only score listed in the letter (also the only FAKO not readily available to me)

So, despite having a 21-month 0% BT card (from Jan), a $6.5k AAdvantage card (from Feb), nearly $10k in CLIs last month, a 12% REPORTED util (it's actually closer to 9%, but with lags in both payments and CLIs, it appears higher), EX has decided my Vantage 3/FICO 4 is 84 pts less than my FICO 8.

Just a chance to get this off my chest, and to offer others some data points.  I'll probably re-apply in a couple of months, after my FAKOs go up a bit.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 Brings Me Crashing Back Down to Earth

@Anonymous wrote:

So, got a rude awakening earlier this week from Cap 1.  After all of the success stories of $10k+ SLs and researching minimium FAKOs (which is the problem, really), I decided to risk the triple-pull and go for the Venture One (as it would arrive at just about the time I hit bonus on the AAdvantage card).

My FICOs are all above 700 (with the exception of EQ, which is showing at 695, but that score is also 32 days old and should be updating), including 717 on EX.  But, as we all know, Cap 1 doesn't do FICO.

I've complained here before (once or twice Smiley Wink ) about how my FAKO scores are 50-80 pts BELOW my FICOs.  I've been messing around with the Simulator on the Cap 1 webiste, and no matter what I do, I cannot get my FAKO above 680, still a significant amount below my actual FICO.  Also, I mentioned that my FAKOs took a 20 pt hit when my BT debit hit a few days before my BT payment (moving over to a 0% card, because I can).  The dip lasted literally about 48 hours.

I waited on the letter as to why I was denied, to only receive it today.  Evidently my EX FAKO is only 633, 25 pts BELOW my other FAKOS, and 84 pts BELOW my EX FICO (currently and historically my highest FICO).  That was the only score listed in the letter (also the only FAKO not readily available to me)

So, despite having a 21-month 0% BT card (from Jan), a $6.5k AAdvantage card (from Feb), nearly $10k in CLIs last month, a 12% REPORTED util (it's actually closer to 9%, but with lags in both payments and CLIs, it appears higher), EX has decided my Vantage 3/FICO 4 is 84 pts less than my FICO 8.

Just a chance to get this off my chest, and to offer others some data points.  I'll probably re-apply in a couple of months, after my FAKOs go up a bit.

I FEEL FOR YOU. I have about a dozen inqs from apply to there prequal ..we know youll love this card. You are highly qualified. 

You do have some great boards though!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to clarify that they did use a Fico score, not a Fako score. They just didn't use the popular Fico 8 score that the majority, but far from all, lenders use.
Message 3 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Capital One doesn't use FAKOs for lending decisions. It may be a lesser used version of FICO but it's not a FAKO.

Anyway, with Capital One there's not much you can do typically except wait and try again later. Sorry about the denial.

Message 4 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

They use FICO 04, not a fako.  Sorry to hear about your denial

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2 quicksilver accts w/ cap 1, i also called and applied for the venture card. Was denied, they told me i was able to upgrade one of my quicksilver accts to a venture, so i figured i would just apply for it.

I will not make that mistake again, lol ouch.

I had ficos of 682 EQ, 686 TU, 698 EX. I have 100% pmt history, and a bk.

I do think it was my inqs, 21 tu. 13 eq, 11ex as well as my utilization of 30%.

So when i called for reconsideration (which they dont do btw) ughhh... i told them i will just wait for them to send me congratulations lettets.

For the record i do like cap 1 very much, the have been very good to me. I get cli every 6 months like clock work.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

CreditCuriousity wrote:

CreditCuriousity

The KUDO was for your Avatar. Got to love Sergeant Schultz!

Message 7 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

CreditCuriousity wrote:

CreditCuriousity

The KUDO was for your Avatar. Got to love Sergeant Schultz!

LOL..  "I Saw nothingggg!"

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.