Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CLI "Too many inquiries"

tag
jeffm4688
Frequent Contributor

Capital One CLI "Too many inquiries"

So I have an interesting one which I didn't think would ever happen & that is my capital one card will not increase in limit due to "too many inquiries". The funny part about this is I think I have the least amount of inquiries I've ever had in my life as I have been trying to garden and rebuild.

I have a capital one venture one I got last year with a 3k SL. and after 6 months they auto CLI'd to $5500. I have paid off all my other cards and this is the only one I report a balance generally between 2200-4500 and I have always PIF. Some months I run more than the $5500 through it and make an extra payment. They're probably mad I haven't paid a cent in interest and have been just raking in the cashback.

I have like 2-3 inquiries on all bureaus that are less than a year old(around 6 months old from when I went car shopping), and a few more (maybe 10) which are more than a year old and my only denial reason at my 1 year mark was too many inquiries. Ironically out of all the denial reasons listed at the bottom of the letter with an explanation and what to do too many inquiries isn't one.

Is capital one now known to be inquiry sensitive?

I would like to continue to grow my credit and realistically would like to get ahold of a 5 figure line at some point. I was hoping this would be it but now I am not sure.

FICO 12/2015 - EX 692 TU 685

FICO 10/2021 - EX 596 TU 605 EQ 600 - officially rebuilding.

What survived:
Amex HH - 1.5K | Amex Delta - 1K | Amex Bonvoy - 1.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex Business Cash- 2K | Amex Business Plus - 2K
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital One CLI "Too many inquiries"

I am assuming you're a rebuilder still at this point in time? I ask because it may be possible they declined your CLI request due to inquiries but that has not stopped other forum members from reporting successes even with many HPs as well. I can only speculate that perhaps your card was bucketed when you first applied for the card and that's why it you got declined as a result, them saying it was due to inquiries is just them legally telling you why it was declined. It's strange too they mention that because AFAIK any CLI requests are soft pulls it's why sometimes if a person does not like the offer they can decline it and try again in the future

When you first applied for the Venture One was this different from the Savor One you applied for here or was this perhaps a product change?

Message 2 of 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@jeffm4688 wrote:

So I have an interesting one which I didn't think would ever happen & that is my capital one card will not increase in limit due to "too many inquiries". The funny part about this is I think I have the least amount of inquiries I've ever had in my life as I have been trying to garden and rebuild.

I have a capital one venture one I got last year with a 3k SL. and after 6 months they auto CLI'd to $5500. I have paid off all my other cards and this is the only one I report a balance generally between 2200-4500 and I have always PIF. Some months I run more than the $5500 through it and make an extra payment. They're probably mad I haven't paid a cent in interest and have been just raking in the cashback.

I have like 2-3 inquiries on all bureaus that are less than a year old(around 6 months old from when I went car shopping), and a few more (maybe 10) which are more than a year old and my only denial reason at my 1 year mark was too many inquiries. Ironically out of all the denial reasons listed at the bottom of the letter with an explanation and what to do too many inquiries isn't one.

Is capital one now known to be inquiry sensitive?

I would like to continue to grow my credit and realistically would like to get ahold of a 5 figure line at some point. I was hoping this would be it but now I am not sure.

Trust me, that's not it. AI algorithms have no human emotions. As far as being a transactor, they've got a plethora of customers who have similar transactor behaviors and they likely qualified for a CLI. Aside from citing inquiries, it's likely there are other potential reasons, but we will never know. They're only required to list a single primary reason.

Message 3 of 4
jeffm4688
Frequent Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

I am assuming you're a rebuilder still at this point in time? I ask because it may be possible they declined your CLI request due to inquiries but that has not stopped other forum members from reporting successes even with many HPs as well. I can only speculate that perhaps your card was bucketed when you first applied for the card and that's why it you got declined as a result, them saying it was due to inquiries is just them legally telling you why it was declined. It's strange too they mention that because AFAIK any CLI requests are soft pulls it's why sometimes if a person does not like the offer they can decline it and try again in the future

When you first applied for the Venture One was this different from the Savor One you applied for here or was this perhaps a product change?

typo on my part, i still have the savor one no PC.

I am waiting for a paid off car loan to post and one more paid charge off to post which will still leave me with 2 unpaid and a plethora of paid ones but should bring my score above the 700 mark. I am currently pre qualified for another cap1 in the same realm of the savorone card but don't plan on pulling the trigger unless I see a pre qual for something better.

FICO 12/2015 - EX 692 TU 685

FICO 10/2021 - EX 596 TU 605 EQ 600 - officially rebuilding.

What survived:
Amex HH - 1.5K | Amex Delta - 1K | Amex Bonvoy - 1.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex Business Cash- 2K | Amex Business Plus - 2K
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.