Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One EO recon fail

tag
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Capital One EO recon fail

I'm not sure if is has been discussed already but if so please move it mods. Against my better judgement I applied for the Venture card, of course chasing the bonus. I did not receive an immediate response and a couple days after received the denial letter. Reason for denial, too many new accounts (4 or 5 this year). I sent an email to the EO for them to reconsider my application and their response was they will not reconsider it because there wasn't an error on their part. Seems they no longer do recons not only for CLIs but also denied applications.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One EO recon fail

You would think that after spending 3 HPs, they would be a little more accomadating

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Had the same experience a few months ago. Denied Venture for too many inquiries. I sent an email and got a call a few days later. CSR was pleasant going through my app, seemed like a positive conversation. They then finished with 'we don't have more sense than our computers so what it spits out is what we do'. Not actually, but that was the gist of it
Message 3 of 5
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Had the same experience a few months ago. Denied Venture for too many inquiries. I sent an email and got a call a few days later. CSR was pleasant going through my app, seemed like a positive conversation. They then finished with 'we don't have more sense than our computers so what it spits out is what we do'. Not actually, but that was the gist of it

I think the EO is really now just another level of customer service with less abilities than they used to have, but more abilities than front line CSRs.  

I almost wrote a 'higher level of customer service', but then I realized that someone might take that wrong and expect better customer service.......  So I changed it to be more grammarically correct and just more correct!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 4 of 5
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Not just with credit card companies but across the board, there's a large push for automation right now. Why pay humans to look over apps when most can be decided "fairly" via a computer?

The EO with Capital One has steadily become more and more just like an ordinary customer service dept, presumably because the higher ups did not want the staff spending time reviewing declined apps/CLIs. If the computer declines you, that's generally the end of the road at this point with Capital One. The algorithims are set and in the company's mind there is no need to waste human staffing on trying to overturn decisions.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.