Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One More Likely Than Wells Fargo or Coastal

tag
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Capital One More Likely Than Wells Fargo or Coastal

So had a good amount of late marks on my reports back in 2018/2019. The most recent late was from Jan 2019, which only shows up on my TransUnion report. So essentially all late marks are 3 years old. No bankruptcies, no collections, etc, just lates.

Currently have a low limit Overstock card and no other cards. Been waiting to apply for anything until now. 

I bank with both Wells Fargo and Coastal Federal Credit Union as well as have a Auto loan through Capital One. 

I would prefer a card from Wells Fargo or Coastal, but I suspect Capital One would be easier to get approved?

Or wait until all scores are above 700?

Transunion Bankcard Socre 9 - 677

Experian Bankcard Score 9 - 690

Equifax Bankcard Score 9 - 712

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One More Likely Than Wells Fargo or Coastal

I suspect you can get approved at all three based on score, though not on the most favorable terms. But the lates may hurt you. May try to get them goodwilled. CU will likely be the most forgiving of the three. 

Message 2 of 14
jcooks
Established Contributor

@AutoBot wrote:

So had a good amount of late marks on my reports back in 2018/2019. The most recent late was from Jan 2019, which only shows up on my TransUnion report. So essentially all late marks are 3 years old. No bankruptcies, no collections, etc, just lates.

Currently have a low limit Overstock card and no other cards. Been waiting to apply for anything until now. 

I bank with both Wells Fargo and Coastal Federal Credit Union as well as have a Auto loan through Capital One. 

I would prefer a card from Wells Fargo or Coastal, but I suspect Capital One would be easier to get approved?

Have you checked Wells Fargo pre-screening?  I know it's not very solid, but could be a very good indicator especially being a customer of theirs.

Message 3 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@jcooks wrote:

@AutoBot wrote:

Have you checked Wells Fargo pre-screening?  I know it's not very solid, but could be a very good indicator especially being a customer of theirs.

OP, in addition to the above ^^^, Capital One has a pre-qualification portal where you can check as well.

Message 4 of 14
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Apprecaite the responses.

Capital One says "Your credit qualifies you for multiple cards". Shows "Recommended" cards.

When I log into my WF checking online, it shows the "Your invited to apply" page.

Coastal doesn't seem to have any "pre" anything on their cards.

Message 5 of 14
jcooks
Established Contributor

Not sure on the invitation to apply, but you can check for pre-selected offer.

https://web.secure.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/yourinfo/

Message 6 of 14
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Thanks for the link. No pre selected offers from WF. I guess 3 years is not enough to dimish the lates.

Message 7 of 14
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Guess I will give it another month of reporting to see about getting closer to 700 on TU and EX.

Message 8 of 14
AutoBot
Established Contributor

I logged into my Wells Fargo checking account online. Clicked on the new FICO 9 score, which is 719. Everytime I log in, they keep presenting me to apply for the Wells Fargo Reflect card. I suspect I am getting close to having an approvable score.

Message 9 of 14
805orbust
Valued Contributor

I'd say 719 is pretty approvable. They may have modified terms because of the lates but I think you're in decent shape. Patience is a superpower in the credit game tho.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.