cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One PC From Plat To QS, Credit Steps?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One PC From Plat To QS, Credit Steps?

I got excited the other night when the PC link posted in these forums actually showed upgrade to a QS so pulled the trigger.  My card was a $300 SL platinum that said after five on time payments it will auto-increase but I'm one of those that had no email about Credit Steps or specifics and nothing on my online account shows the circle things for each statement till I get there so wondering if I will get that mystery increase at five payments still and if the PC affected that??? Also hoping upon hope that a collections account that just popped up on my report last week (completely in error and unfairly by the way but according to the CA they are removing, just waiting for CRs to update) won't affect me at that five-statement mark.  My third statement just cut today...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
AnimatorProcrastinator
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital One PC From Plat To QS, Credit Steps?

If nothing in your account says that you're on credit steps, and you got no communications stating as such, then I don't believe just being assigned a low limit like $300 automatically means you're on steps. Have you tried asking for a CLI yet? I started with a $1,000 Plat and it was made very clear to me that I was on steps, but I was still able to get a $100 cli after three months. And no, the PC does not affect the automatic increase- mine was PC'd at about the 3 or 4 month mark. As far as I know, the collections should not affect the credit steps as the only stipulation to get the increase is to not miss a payment on your Capital One account exclusively. I could be wrong on that one.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah the whole auto increase after 5 payments/credit steps thing has confused me.  I tried searching around for similar instances but not enough mentions to be clear on it.  But my preapproval letter said I'd get a higher credit line after five on time payments and the regular plat is definitely listed as one of their cards that gets those increases.  I know generally in that case card holders get an email outlining what their new limit will be.  Then again my offer was also 0% intro rate and no fee so maybe a different situation or something.  I was actually hoping to get a CLI when this statement cut but with the unfortunate timing of this collection reporting that will be delayed.  The CA said worst case scenario it takes 45 days latest to be gone from all reports which should still be just enough time to request one before the 5th statement and potential auto-increase happens.  I plan to request CLI as soon as it's gone from all three bureaus and hope for the best. Good to know about the PC though, thank you!

Message 3 of 5
NeverGivinUp
New Contributor

Azrael, I have a Cap One Plat Secured but was recently approved for QS1.  When applying (after prequal for QS1) I was sure I saw something about an increase after 5 on-time payments but saw nothing on my account. I've had the card for about a month and it just now reported to CA.  On the same day (today) I got the Cap One email that after 5 on-time payment I'll get an increase. Give it time to report & you'll probably get the same email.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply! I've actually had the card since early December and still no email about the increase but I'll stay on the lookout. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.