cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Platinum is it possible to call for a CLI when you first get card?!

tag
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Capital One Platinum is it possible to call for a CLI when you first get card?!

So my DH went to Capital One (instead of doing the prequal to see what all cards he qualified for he accidently shot his shot at the Platinum by Capital One and was approved for 300.     Probably because the car we originally got financed for was under Cap One originally.      Sooooo YAY!!!     My question is since I don't have any experience with Capital One well their cards...he says he can't ask for a CLI for at least 5 months I know of course you want to wait 6 months to ask for your soft increase or whatever like a regular card but if he wanted to call and see if he can get his original SL increased is it possible to ask that right when it arrives in the mail or is this one of those cards that he has to wait it can't be helped situations.?!

8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One Platinum is it possible to call for a CLI when you first get card?!

Unfortunately, this is one of those situations that would not lend itself to a CLI upon receipt of the card or during activation. Capital One isn't as flexible with a CLI from the get-go such as the likes of Comenity or SYNCB, for instance.

This one will have to ride the standard CLI wave.
Message 2 of 9
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Platinum is it possible to call for a CLI when you first get card?!

LOLOLOL Ok cool thank you I didn't want to tell him to call and ask and possibly piss them off LOL.....We will ride it out and hopefully see his credit build too Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Cap One Platinum is a "credit steps" card. It is possible to get a CLI before the automatic Credit Steps CLI. However, whatever increase you do get will be subtracted from the promised Credit Steps amount.

I know this because I also have a Cap One Platinum. My SL was $300. I requested a $100 CLI after my 3rd statement. I recieved it.

Good Luck.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

So my DH went to Capital One (instead of doing the prequal to see what all cards he qualified for he accidently shot his shot at the Platinum by Capital One and was approved for 300.     Probably because the car we originally got financed for was under Cap One originally.      Sooooo YAY!!!     My question is since I don't have any experience with Capital One well their cards...he says he can't ask for a CLI for at least 5 months I know of course you want to wait 6 months to ask for your soft increase or whatever like a regular card but if he wanted to call and see if he can get his original SL increased is it possible to ask that right when it arrives in the mail or is this one of those cards that he has to wait it can't be helped situations.?!

Girlzilla88, he's automatically enrolled in the Credit Steps Program with that card for "average credit".  All he needs to do is follow the steps to receive an auto CLI after 5 months (he's unlikely to get any CLIs otherwise).  For reference, I went from $500 to $3500 with the Platinum MC, which was my first card after starting my rebuild with a Cap 1 auto loan.  Each of our stories are different, of course.  Best!

"Absorb what is useful.  Reject what is useless.  Add what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Message 5 of 9
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Thank you both~

Message 6 of 9
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The Cap One Platinum is a "credit steps" card. It is possible to get a CLI before the automatic Credit Steps CLI. However, whatever increase you do get will be subtracted from the promised Credit Steps amount.

I know this because I also have a Cap One Platinum. My SL was $300. I requested a $100 CLI after my 3rd statement. I recieved it.

Good Luck.

I had a similar experience.

I had a 300.

Steps program said  it'd auto increase to 500.

Just before that happened, I requested a CLI, took it to 400

When the steps program gave me my CLI, it went from 400 to 500.

So that CLI of 100 just before graduation wasn't a dbl dip like I hoped.

But it's okay, I got a hefty CLI 6 months later to bring it back up to $600 Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started with a 1K Cap1 Platinum last December as my first credit card after a paid CO with Dillard’s store card. I have gotten it to 2.5K with no poking the bear after 6 months. I also PCed it about 4 months in to a QS.

I would use the Platinum for a bit and just pay it off regularly. Then a couple months in, see if he can bark at Discover for a card. I think Capital One reacts to other credit being given.
Message 8 of 9
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Interesting thank you both

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.