Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Platinum or QS1 ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Platinum or QS1 ?

Hello!  My wife has been looking at the Capital One cards and is looking between these two.  We both have a BK discharge from April of this year, file date is December last year.  She just has an NFCU Secured card in her name at the moment and is an AU on my Discover IT Secured.  Would the QS1 be any better than the Platinum?  I know the QS1 has an annual fee but it looks like it has more rewards which we like.  Are the approval criteria the same on both cards or should she just go with the Platinum?

Her scores are in the low 600s as well.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One Platinum or QS1 ?

My two cents:

Cap One has a prequal site.  Use it.  Do not apply blind (learned that the hard way).  If you don't get a recommendation from the prequal site, don't apply.

Edited to add color commentary:

FYI, Cap One hates me.  I have yet to prequal for a card not requiring an annual fee.  I applied blind in January - triple-pull for nothing.  Won't be doing that again.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIW, many of us including myself started with the Plat and were able to convert it to a QS after a few months. That gained us the cash back portion without the annual fee of a QS1.
Message 3 of 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

QS1s are hard to product-change to no-fee Quicksilvers. Platinums can be converted relatively easily. I'd go for the Platinum simply because it's so much easier to PC in a few months.

Message 4 of 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I would check prequal site.

Based on Ohio's statement, Plat may be better for you.

Keep in mind, you will need to open up new accounts as your credit gets better to get better limits and terms.

In other words, Cap One will bucket your card but not you.

Ever 50 points or so, you should be able to move up to better accounts with better limits.

My first card after BK was $3k SL Platinum.

1 year later I got $10k SL QuickSilver.

3 years later I got $30k SL Venture.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

When it comes to Cap1. Avoid anything that has "One" after the name of the card. Except the Savor with no AF.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prequal site shows nothing for either of us. Thanks everyone!!
Message 7 of 11
CivalV
Established Contributor

I would say try Amex prequal, Discover, Citi bank. Discover might give the option of the secured card. I have it and the rewards have been great. I am also putting a bigger deposit towards my account to have a higher credit limit. The card graduates with good behavior and you get your money back.

I’ll be following for updates! Good luck
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would establish history with another cc company, I see so many people closing Cap one because they don't grow your limit and that can hold you back. Amex & Chase are some good places to look.
Message 9 of 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I would establish history with another cc company, I see so many people closing Cap one because they don't grow your limit and that can hold you back. Amex & Chase are some good places to look.

Thats because the cards were issued when other banks would not approve them for any CL.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.