Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Venture Denied!

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Capital One Venture Denied!

Friends: Over the weekend, I applied for the Capital One Venture card. I travel a lot for work and pleasure, and wanted to add this card to my travel toolkit.

I've had the Quicksilver card since early 2014 and have enjoyed a few CLIs, but my SL is only $3,250 and that card seems bucketed. My current FICO 8 scores are EX 713, EQ 712, TU 709. Utilization is below 30% across the board and I have a modest number of inquiries (5-6) across the bureaus. My income is relatively high ($400K+) and AAoA is more that 5 years.

I was surprised to receive an instant denial to my online application. The letter Cap One sent me cites the main reason as: "Revolving account balance(s) are too high in relation to credit score." Curiously, the Experian score cited in their letter was much lower than my FICO 8 EX score. Perhaps Cap One is using the new FICO 9 score? Their letter also mentioned "Too many inquiries last 12 months". Cap One seems inordinately sensitive to inquiries!

Is it worth attempting a recon with Cap One? I'd be happy to offer closing my Quicksilver card in favor of the Venture if that would help?

14 REPLIES 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Capital One Venture Denied!

Cap1 doesn't do recon. They actually may have pulled an older score like fico5

Message 2 of 15
chhull00
Frequent Contributor

IMHO, sounds like CO is going to  miss out on another great customer! there loss, so many better cards out there.

Message 3 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned further upthread OP, Capital One will not reconsider system-declined applications. They have adjusted their UW algorithms quite a bit.
Message 4 of 15
Malcono
Regular Contributor

Wow.  

That's insane that they would auto-deny you.

Your file seems well enough.

Their loss I suppose.

Total Credit: $107,000Utilization: 1%AAoA: 2yrs, 4mthsAoOA: 3yrs, 1mthAoYA: 1yrs, 10mthsBaddies: 0

Message 5 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It's not really their loss. They can afford to be selective. Their acquisition criteria has shifted and that tends to be a shifting trend for a variety of CC lenders.
Message 6 of 15
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

"Their loss" is about $12K per month of credit card spend, which I can easily put on other cards!

Presumably the algorithms used by credit card companies are mostly about risk. It's difficult to see why any company would think my file represents a level of risk that justifies this denial.

Message 7 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It's not so much perceived risk. Paradigms have shifted from a variety of lenders that examine things beyond just risk. It's more about predictive behavior like churning, long term profitability, and who they want as a customer, etc.

Your $12K in spending will still be achieved by other folks who are approved since they're not denying everyone. Just like they can be selective, so can you. The beauty about choices.
Message 8 of 15
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP

I know you’re frustrated right now but 30% UT across the board is kinda high. I’m willing to bet if you got that down to less than 8.9%, you’ll have a better outcome.

Just my 2cents.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 15
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

OP, sorry to hear about the denial.  Just curious.......did you check to see if you were pre-qualified for the Venture before you applied?  

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.