cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One approved me for a different card than I applied for! Not in a good way though

tag
Blender
Established Contributor

Capital One approved me for a different card than I applied for! Not in a good way though

So i recently made this post and was excited about it:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Savor-One-approval/td-p/6567224

When i logged in to balance transfer my only option was 23.99%, not the 3% fee with 0% for 15 months. So, i called and she came back with the card i applied for didnt carry that offer NOR did it carry the $200 SUB on $500 spend. She questioned if i ever got a notice saying anything like "sorry we couldnt apply you for this card, but how about this one?" and I said no. I kinda had a feeling that this was going to happen as I saw no mention of the SUB even though I've met it already and have gotten notifications for cash back that I will receive.

So she transferred me to a supervisor who had the voice of "its Friday at 5pm, not my problem." He wasnt willing or able to help or compensate to make me feel like a welcomed capital one member. 

There are 3 savor cards listed in columns and i 1000% applied using the middle column, i wouldnt have ever considered wasting an inquiry on 26.99% and no bonuses. So while this might just sound like an angry rant, Im actually asking for some input/ thoughts here. Is it worth contacting the CFPB over something like this?

Thanks

4/2024

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One approved me for a different card than I applied for! Not in a good way though

Sorry you didn't get the card that you wanted but on the application page under important disclosures it says "If you don't qualify, we may consider you for other cards. We'll only check your credit once, and it won't affect your SavorOne application. You'll be able to accept or decline our offer." So contacting the CFPB might be a moot point.

Since you've already taken the hit for the credit pull, why not use to card and make it work? It's not a terrible part and it has the potential to grow.

Message 2 of 9
Blender
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One approved me for a different card than I applied for! Not in a good way though

I didn't know it stated that so yeah that voids my whole argument. Based off what the rep said, i thought it would pop up on the screen in front of me. 

The rewards are the same but the reason I actually applied was for the balance transfer to get my credit one cards down to zero and have 0% on the C1. I just thought I was doing something smart here and I'm only coming out 1.5% ahead. Better than nothing I suppose. And of course I'll be angry about not getting the 200 SUB lol

4/2024

Message 3 of 9
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

I think this is one of those times where you didn't take the time to double check what was in front of you and it bit you in the backside.

It sucks but chalk it up as a learning experience. Always, always double check the terms and conditons before hitting that submit button on the website. Sorry things didn't go according to plan. I know it sucks.

3/3/24
Message 4 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Blender wrote:

So i recently made this post and was excited about it:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Savor-One-approval/td-p/6567224

When i logged in to balance transfer my only option was 23.99%, not the 3% fee with 0% for 15 months. So, i called and she came back with the card i applied for didnt carry that offer NOR did it carry the $200 SUB on $500 spend. She questioned if i ever got a notice saying anything like "sorry we couldnt apply you for this card, but how about this one?" and I said no. I kinda had a feeling that this was going to happen as I saw no mention of the SUB even though I've met it already and have gotten notifications for cash back that I will receive.

So she transferred me to a supervisor who had the voice of "its Friday at 5pm, not my problem." He wasnt willing or able to help or compensate to make me feel like a welcomed capital one member. 

There are 3 savor cards listed in columns and i 1000% applied using the middle column, i wouldnt have ever considered wasting an inquiry on 26.99% and no bonuses. So while this might just sound like an angry rant, Im actually asking for some input/ thoughts here. Is it worth contacting the CFPB over something like this?

Thanks

3? Theres more than the Savor and Savor 1? I know theres the student version. Though its still a Savor one. Is this what you meant?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

3? Theres more than the Savor and Savor 1? I know theres the student version. Though its still a Savor one. Is this what you meant?

Capital One also offers version of their cards "for good credit". They're the same as the standard cards, except no SUB, high/fixed APR, and typically targeted at people with average/good instead of excellent credit.

Message 6 of 9
Trini88
Established Contributor

My sister recently got the SavorOne. It shows in the app how much is needed to make it to the $500 spend. It's not like Amex where it doesn't even show you how much was spent to meet your welcome bonus. (I got a separate app for that)

Sorry that happened to you. I would be pretty upset. Always call and confirm with a rep.

Side Note: Them having 3 versions of that card is ridiculous imho.

Goal Cards:
Message 7 of 9
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

I think OP may be referring to the 3 variations of Savor One you can apply for.  The regular one with the $200 sub and 0% offer, student with the $100 sub (but no 0% offer), and the for good credit one with no sub, no 0% offer and an interest rate that's 0.5% higher than the the worst tier of the regular/student.   I wish I knew how their algorithm determined approval for the regular vs for good credit.  I'm only preapproved for the for good credit version, but I've seen data points of people with a more recent BK than mine applying for the regular with success.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
April 2024 FICO 8:
April 2024 FICO 9:
Message 8 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Zoostation1 wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

I think OP may be referring to the 3 variations of Savor One you can apply for.  The regular one with the $200 sub and 0% offer, student with the $100 sub (but no 0% offer), and the for good credit one with no sub, no 0% offer and an interest rate that's 0.5% higher than the the worst tier of the regular/student.   I wish I knew how their algorithm determined approval for the regular vs for good credit.  I'm only preapproved for the for good credit version, but I've seen data points of people with a more recent BK than mine applying for the regular with success.

Now I see that theres 3 catagories for the Savor/Savor One. New to me. I have the Savor but got in before the $95 AF. Only $59 for me 2 yrs out of BK 2018. I had a auto loan with them. Funny thing is only difference for the One now is its welcome bonus on one for $200, none on the other. After the 0% APR runs out. Its the same basically 26.4% APR. Maybe the 16.49%. Both have the same CB %'s. Comes down to the $200 bonus or not. Same result. Little whacky.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.