Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One card denial

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Capital One card denial

My ex pin is 6 digits

And, cap1 doesn't like people with scores in the 800s. Heck, even high 700s get denied all the time. Probably not the demographic they're after.

Message 11 of 18
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Try a different creditor with no foreign transaction fees.

Uber Visa? - Barclays is typically Transunion. How about a bank or credit union you bank with?
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

9EBAF40B-6F3B-412D-BCBD-B3A280C2163E.jpeg

Equifax forced me to have their randomly generated 10-digit PIN, EX I chose a 10-digit PIN, and TU is 6 digits. 

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally got all 3 CRA's unfrozen and reapplied to Capital One. Still denied. Called and got a hold of a semi-autonomous biological unit who wouldn't explain anything, just kept saying I should call the CRA's if I wanted to dispute Capital One's decision, which makes no sense. After going around in circles for 20 minutes I did call Transunion and they were flabbergasted that I couldnt get approved with perfect credit history and a 822 FICO score. They said "if you can't get approved, who are they going to give a credit card to?" There don't seem to be many cards out there with no foreign transaction fees but I guess I'll take my business elsewhere.

Message 14 of 18
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I finally got all 3 CRA's unfrozen and reapplied to Capital One. Still denied. Called and got a hold of a semi-autonomous biological unit who wouldn't explain anything, just kept saying I should call the CRA's if I wanted to dispute Capital One's decision, which makes no sense. After going around in circles for 20 minutes I did call Transunion and they were flabbergasted that I couldnt get approved with perfect credit history and a 822 FICO score. They said "if you can't get approved, who are they going to give a credit card to?" There don't seem to be many cards out there with no foreign transaction fees but I guess I'll take my business elsewhere.

I'm flabbergasted that a CRA would make such a comment since more than score is involved in determining whether a customer is approved or declined for a CC. Score is not the only determinant. I suggest waiting for the letter to see exactly what the reason for denial is. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pasted the denial letter in the original post. The CRA said it made no sense, I only had 2 inquiries in 2 years and besides the Kubota tractor my only debt is a $2100 credit card balance on a card I pay off every Month. I got copies of all 3 reports the other 2 are no different.

"Thank you for applying for a credit card issued by Capital One®. Unfortunately, after reviewing your

application and information obtained from your consumer credit report(s) from the agencies detailed

on the back of this letter - we cannot approve your request at this time.

The reason(s) for our decision are:

·  Based on your credit report from one or more of the agencies on the back of this letter,

revolving account balance(s) are too high in relation to income

·  Based on your credit report from one or more of the agencies on the back of this letter, there

have been too many recent inquiries"

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I went ahead and applied for a Bank of America card and got approved in about 10 seconds.

Message 17 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about the Capital One denial @Anonymous. On the upside, it appears you had a favorable outcome with BoA so congrats!

Locking this thread as you have been approved for the other CC. Feel free to start a new approval thread in the Approvals forum if you would like to do so.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.