Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One’s six month rule?

tag
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Capital One’s six month rule?

Has anyone had any success RECENTLY with getting multiple Cap1 cards within short periods of time? I hear there is a “only one every six months”  rule now. Do co-branded cards (GM Buypower for example) count? Also, if one were to try applying for a second card within less than six months, would there be a HP or would the application get stopped before pulling credit reports? 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
chaos51
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital One’s six month rule?

I think there a lot of DPs saying that you can't get another card within 6 months of each other. Also, it would probably be a hard pull on all 3 CBs.

Total Revolving Credit Limit: $306,900
Pay Over Time Limit: $85,000
Fico 8 Scores: Ex: 751, TU 751, EQ 741
Message 2 of 11
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Each Cap One app is a HP for all 3 CB. 

Yes - you cannot get more than 1 credit card from Cap One less than 6 months. 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just encountered this issue myself. I applied for the Cap One Secured Platinum and was approved at the end of last month. My Fico scores rose over 100 points on each of the big 3 during the last 3 weeks due collections being eliminated and a few other cards etc. I decided to apply for the Cap One unsecured platinum and recieved a letter telling me that I had recently had an application with them so I was not eligible at this time. There was no hard pull for me fortunately.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've gotten one CLI on my Capital One Mastercard in over 7 years.  They always deny my requests, probably because I never use the card.

Good luck. 

Message 5 of 11
avp99
Frequent Contributor

@SomewhereIn505wrote:

Each Cap One app is a HP for all 3 CB. 

Yes - you cannot get more than 1 credit card from Cap One less than 6 months. 

I wonder if the 6 month rule applies when you PC.  Last month I did a PC from Platinum to QS. Have not tried to app for a new one yet, so not sure if the 6 month rule will apply in this situation.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

avp99, PCs with Cap1 haven’t traditionally changed CLI schedules; I would think this would hold true for applications.
PCing doesn’t change your account number or ‘look like’ a new account, so I wouldn’t think it would reset a 6 month app clock
Message 7 of 11
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

PC just changes your terms, not the 6 month rule.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 8 of 11
pip3man
Valued Contributor

This was actually a policy put in place to align with the company’s mission and “helping consumers make better and wise credit decision.” As a customer u may not understand but from the company’s perspective it makes perfect sense. In the past customers could apply for cards back to back and each application results in 3 HP across the bureaus. So if u applied for 2 cards that’s a total of 6 HPs. Hard inquiries has a subtle negative impact on your credit but having too many in a short period of time, lowers ur credit score and at the same time indicates aggressive Credit seeking behavior. So in other to protect and minimize the effect on u as a customer, limitations like this were put in place to allow sufficient time for your scores to recover from that initial impact of the HP. Also keep in mind, currently if u applied for a second product you’ll be declined without a HP. This is unlike in the past when there was always a HP for every application regardless of whether or not you were approved. Capital One is really changing the game and bringing a whole new perspective in financial technology. I used to be one of their biggest critics but now I have a better understanding of their business strategies 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been approved for multiple capital one cards since March 3018: platinum MC in March, quicksilver one in May and the co-branded PlayStation card and a Kohl’s both in June.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.