Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one CLI declined. Yes, it’s been 6 months

tag
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Capital one CLI declined. Yes, it’s been 6 months

So I'm rebuilding. Still not the best,  but improving. 
started with capital one platinum and a discover secured. After three months, PC to quicksilver, followed credit steps, went to $500 limit. After six months, requested cli and it went to a whopping $600.  Just requested again after my 6th statement and declined due to to many recent inquiries. (I have 3 inquiries. One was capital one for the card, one was capital one when I bought my car, which they're financing, and the third was Discover when I opened the secure. 
Discover recently graduated me and took me from the $450 secured amount to $1,000.  
no lates on either card ever. No over the limit ever. Income over 6 figures, utilization is low most of the time but it's hard to keep it low with $600 limits. I pay off multiple times per month. Discover is currently reporting $0, balance is $920/$1,000 but with a payment scheduled for today of $920.  
fico scores are in mid 600s now. I don't need the extra credit but i want to buy a house this year so I'm just trying to get everything in the best light. 

Scores as of 04/2021

Gardening until further notice
15 REPLIES 15
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Capital one CLI declined. Yes, it’s been 6 months

Sorry for your CLI denial, low limit Cap1 cards are hard to grow.

Message 2 of 16
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Don't make it a bad thing - Cap 1 seem to be very conservative.

I started with $1500 SL QS1 and has been the same limit for over 4 years.

Asked for a CLI and they denied twice citing "too many inquiries and low balances".

Guess this will get sock drawered as my scores are going up....

Message 3 of 16
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@jason0618, I'm surprised that you got the $100 increase given that you had just received the Steps CLI. The usual rule is that after receiving an increase, you become ineligible for another until six months have passed.

@4sallypat, if you want to hang onto your QS1, the last thing you want to do is sock drawer it. That will guarantee that you won't receive an offer to upgrade it to a no-fee card. Use the card at least once each and every month, and make a payment each and every month. I was offered upgrades on two QS1s after 12 or 13 consecutive months of usage. Once you're upgraded, go ahead and put the card in the sock drawer. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 16
mmajer4211
Regular Contributor

@jason0618 wrote:

So I'm rebuilding. Still not the best,  but improving. 
started with capital one platinum and a discover secured. After three months, PC to quicksilver, followed credit steps, went to $500 limit. After six months, requested cli and it went to a whopping $600.  Just requested again after my 6th statement and declined due to to many recent inquiries. (I have 3 inquiries. One was capital one for the card, one was capital one when I bought my car, which they're financing, and the third was Discover when I opened the secure. 
Discover recently graduated me and took me from the $450 secured amount to $1,000.  
no lates on either card ever. No over the limit ever. Income over 6 figures, utilization is low most of the time but it's hard to keep it low with $600 limits. I pay off multiple times per month. Discover is currently reporting $0, balance is $920/$1,000 but with a payment scheduled for today of $920.  
fico scores are in mid 600s now. I don't need the extra credit but i want to buy a house this year so I'm just trying to get everything in the best light. 

My Capital One card was the first one I got when I started my rebuild over 2 years ago. My inital credit limit was $500 and moved to $750 after 6 months because of their credit steps. To this day I still cannot get a CLI. I am denied each time I request it and my scores are almost in the 800's with zero derogs. The reason always states I'm denied because I don't use it enough, which is true. I NEVER use it.

MASSIVE OVERHALL (48) MONTHS IN

Message 5 of 16
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

I need to get in the habit of using the cards I have. I typically just use my debit card because there's no bill and I still get 1% cash back every month with it, too. Maybe just set them both up on an auto pay for something I already need like cell phone and Netflix. 

Scores as of 04/2021

Message 6 of 16
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Hopefully I won't have this issue with discover then. Since it started out secured, I'm hoping they don't leave me in a bucket...

Scores as of 04/2021

Message 7 of 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@jason0618 wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Hopefully I won't have this issue with discover then. Since it started out secured, I'm hoping they don't leave me in a bucket...

Nah Discover doesn't do that nearly as much. Though they can be fickle at times, but it still grows, unlike Cap One's starter cards. I've given up on getting a CLI on mine.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 16
DotaK
Regular Contributor

I first got my capital one with 1500 credit limit for silver in 2013. It's been almost 8 years now, I got 8750 limit now..Don't feel too bad for this. I request the cli every 6 months since 2014.

Message 9 of 16
DotaK
Regular Contributor

Tell you a screte for capital one CLI. You just max the limit and pay it off twice or three times within a month. After that, you click the button and your credit limit would just jump!

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.