Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one CLI declined. Yes, it’s been 6 months

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital one CLI declined. Yes, it’s been 6 months

@DotaK wrote:

Tell you a screte for capital one CLI. You just max the limit and pay it off twice or three times within a month. After that, you click the button and your credit limit would just jump!

Unfortunately, this isn't really going to work for every profile @DotaK.  Not to burst your bubble, but there's a history of DPs on Capital One, so what you suggested isn't really a secret.  Folks have been there, done that.  If this were the case, you'd see several, and I mean a flood of Capital One CLI posts in the Approvals section.

Message 11 of 16
Chem2062

I just got declined on my cap one platinum cli, it's been at 500$ for 3 years. To put it in perspective I just got a cli from Apple to 6750$ yesterday, credit is high 600s, about 30% util. I'm the kind of person credit card companies should want, use it a ton, some times roll over but always pay. IMO, Forget about cap one, useless card from a useless company.

Message 12 of 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Chem2062 wrote:

I just got declined on my cap one platinum cli, it's been at 500$ for 3 years. To put it in perspective I just got a cli from Apple to 6750$ yesterday, credit is high 600s, about 30% util. I'm the kind of person credit card companies should want, use it a ton, some times roll over but always pay. IMO, Forget about cap one, useless card from a useless company.

I wouldn't say they're useless, but definitely tough to get a CLI from. They do help many rebuilders (including me) and are very forgiving even if you burned them before. In your case, do you use your card a lot? If you don't use it much, it can't be too surprising that they refuse to CLI it. Also, it *is* well known that starter cards generally get "bucketed" indefinitely and simply refuse to grow.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 13 of 16
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

I went from a secured CapOne Platinum with a $1,000 limit to an unsecured Quicksilver with a $3,000 limit, but I cheated (kinda-sorta).

I found the $1,000 limit unworkable with my monthly spend and because CapOne would put roughly every-other payment I made on hold for up to 12 days, even though I'd paid the card off I couldn't use it because the money I'd paid hadn't been applied.  After dinking around for a month trying to deal with this situation I got disgusted and simply closed the card and figured they'd be mad at me for like, forever.  Six months later, literally to the day of the closure, CapOne E-Mailed me a "preapproval" for a Quicksilver card; I'd just been denied for the nth time by Discover so I took the bait and applied for the Quicksilver, bang, approved for $3,000.

Even though the Quicksilver is my lowest limit card, it is my go-to card for everything but dining out, groceries, and gasoline.  The thing is, even though they get a pretty bad rap by a lot of folks, their rewards are really easy to use; personally I love the fact I can redeem them directly on Amazon, where I do a lot of shopping.

This is probably a YMMV scenario, but if you cannot get a CapOne CLI, and if you're willing to burn a couple of HPs (note, I had my TU account locked at the time I applied for the Quicksilver, so I only got 2 HPs and was still approved), then apply for one of their other cards and then close the bucketed one.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 14 of 16
BlackOpzFX
Valued Member

With Cap1 card you have to spend 60%+ of your limit for a couple months. You can pay it off and don't have to carry it but they NEED to see the activity. Also they usually limit to 10% CLI's in $100 increments. You have to use them a LOT.

Message 15 of 16
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

Sorry for the Capital One increase denial.
Yet, congratulations on you recent Discover graduation and CLI!
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.