cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one Combo with one late payment?? Can I do it????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one Combo with one late payment?? Can I do it????

Hello peeps,

So here's the deal:

I  have two capital one cc's - one venture w/15k limit and one quicksilver w/ 18.5k limit. Both accounts open for over a year. Quicksilver balance $0.00. Venture balance $500.  My mother passed away last month and I was 2 days late on making the venture payment. Outside of that, I've NEVER been late on these cards.

So, I tried account combination and system wouldn't let me .....saying accounts ineligible,... I suspect because of the late payment. I talked with customer service re reason behind late payment and while sympathetic, I'm told only "the system" can combine the accounts and account managers do not have authority to make any exceptions.

Anyone have experience or insight here??? Am I really SOL for 6 months due to the late payment??? 

scores: 

EQ: 727, TU 737, EX: 739

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital one Combo with one late payment?? Can I do it????

CapOne's account combination has always been buggy as hell from what I've read. There have been people reporting $0 balances on the two cards they want to consolidate and the system still won't let them despite being eligible.

Message 2 of 9
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Cap1 employees have virtually no authoority to override the computers. Their computer said i was ineligable for a cli because of a recent late on my CR. Trouble was my last late was close to 6 years ago. I was asked to mail in my CR so it could be reviewed manually as they had no way to view it let along override it.

Good lucki OP

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 3 of 9
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry OP...the late payment may be holding you back or it could be that amongst other things.  When it comes to combining accounts with CapOne, it list the criteria that one must meet to be *eligible* for an account combination...it's necessarily a guarantee that even if you meet the criteria that you'll still be able to combine.  Take a look around the forum...there are many folks who meet the criteria yet the system still won't allow them to combine. 

I would suggest giving it some time and after you've had a pattern of on-time payments, try again and see if you have success with the combination.  Best of luck to you!

Message 4 of 9
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Hi OP, my sincerest condolences on your lost. Having lost a parent myself, I know this can be a difficult time. Keep your head up and know that she's in a better place and will always be looking out for you.

Now on to your question. Unfortunately, you're SOL for 6th months. I had a similar issue, I was under my promo period, so had my account set up for auto pay through my bank. Well, I didn't look at my CC statement to see that my minimum had gone up from $25 to $26. Since I'd never had a problem, I assume the bill was paid until I got an email alert like 2days later. I immediately paid the additional $1, but when it came time to combine my accounts a short while later, I was told that I wasn't eligible because of my "late" payment. It sucks, but that's their firm policy.

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 5 of 9
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

I'm having issues with Capital One, too. While I thought I was just about out of credit steps, I was 2 days late on my first payment. While Capital One gave me a "warning," I'm stuck with no CLI and on the steps program for another few months. All other payments have been on time and significantly larger than the minimum payment.

I also was recently approved for a Discover card. Thinking that will be my go to/carry every day card. I'm going to lock up Capital One until they begin to show me some luv and age off their steps program.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback and replies from everyone.... I really appreciate it. I am still not able to combine and now both accounts are zero.  So, everyone has pointed out, it seems the system controls combinations and customer service cannot unfortunately override. 

I will wait it out for another 5 months I suppose Smiley Sad

Thanks again for the replies!

Message 7 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hi Op , i too offer my condolences for the loss of your mother.

Now, im just going to go another direction and let you know to be careful in combining your 2 accounts for a mega account. It may seem great to have a 33.5k Cap One card, but we've been seeing people with big Cap One credit limits get cut down, or cld , for perhaps having a card which usage doesnt compare to its limit. So if you do combine or are able i hope you use the heck out of it or it could make you a target. Not saying it will happen but its very possible in the new Cap One.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks AverageJoesCredit,

I wasn't  thinking that way and haven't been on the forums too much lately so good thinking and thanks for bringing that issue to my attention. I suppose I ought to do some more research on combination in general and maybe ... it's a blessing in disguise.  Thanks again!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.