Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capitol one Secure/Unsecured credit increase

tag
ChiknNuggz
Regular Contributor

Capitol one Secure/Unsecured credit increase

How the hell do you get a increase with capitol one.  Ive had my secured card with a limit of $200 since June 2014 never one missed payment until april 2019 (just forgot some how to pay it) never missed a payment befoer or after that.  Never got an increase. Also, have quicksilver with $500 limit i got june 2017 no missed payments except June 2019 and no missed payments after that. Credit score was 600 and under the past years but is now a 630 and still no increase.  I heard capital one is hard to get increses. When i reach the 700 and above mark im getting other cards and doing away with capitol one smh there cash back also sucks lol. 1.5% smh

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
silver_idle
Established Contributor

Re: Capitol one Secure/Unsecured credit increase

@ChiknNuggz wrote:

How the hell do you get a increase with capitol one.  Ive had my secured card with a limit of $200 since June 2014 never one missed payment until april 2019 (just forgot some how to pay it) never missed a payment befoer or after that.  Never got an increase. Also, have quicksilver with $500 limit i got june 2017 no missed payments except June 2019 and no missed payments after that. Credit score was 600 and under the past years but is now a 630 and still no increase.  I heard capital one is hard to get increses. When i reach the 700 and above mark im getting other cards and doing away with capitol one smh there cash back also sucks lol. 1.5% smh

They may do a CLI for a secured card but you cant request it. You can contact them and see if they can graduate it to unsecured since some have reported that they began doing so, however YMMV. I probably wouldnt see a CLI for it with the score you currently have (though they look at FICO 8 EQ when doing a CLI but may look at others when making the decision to do one or graduate). If you missed a payment, that *mightve* dampen things abit but I probably would  fight them over it and to suggest work on any other cards you do have as well as your report and when the time comes to just close it. As long as it close in good standing, it will remain on your report for 10 years.  

Message 2 of 9
bicboiOD
Contributor

@ChiknNuggz wrote:

Kind of on the same boat as you, had a Platinum card (which was PC'd to Quicksilver) with them since 2016 and had good payment history until about 2019 had few 30 day lates, last 30 day late was in June 2019 (just like you lol) but my scores were probably high 500s at the time and I'm well above the 650's and I do think the fact that late payments are on present on that account is hindering chances of a CLI.

But I'm going to be adding more to my secured deposit to have a max CLI of $1000 and hope to get an additional CLI after 6 months of on time payments, but just know that most DPs tend to show that Capital One tends to give CLI to heavy usage. I've heavily spent on my Quicksilver the past two billing cycles and I think what might be suppressing my chances of CLI is the one collections thats on my report, which is going to get deleted after I pay/settle at the end of the month. So I'm going to just try and put enough spend that probably exceeds the $300 limit and let it post a $25 statement balance and PIF to show 8.3% utilization and try for another CLI, if its a no-go I'm just going to sock drawer and leave it on auto pay with some recurring subscriptions to keep activity going on it. Its my oldest open revolver so that's the only reason what's stopping me from closing, plus it's no AF so why not.

I definitely agree with you for the most part that after you've significantly improved you credit profile to be in the 700's that you should sock drawer them as well and put your spend with other creditors. I'd recommend the Discover It Secured, $200 minimum deposit and can add additional deposits to get a max limit of $2500, known to graduate with responsible use across all credit accounts after 8 months!

Capital One will probably give a CLI when you forget about them LOL

Current Stats:

03/2021 EXTUEQ

FICO8

(01/2020)

INQ (24mo)875
INQ (12mo)775
AAoA4y 2mo4y 2mo4y 2mo
AoYA2 mo2 mo2 mo

Personal Revolvers:

Credit Limit$300$2000$1000$1000$1250
Age4y 4mo2 mo1 mo1 moN/A
Utilization0%11%N/AN/AN/A
Message 3 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It's well known that as of the past year or 2, getting a CLI with Capital One is extremely difficult. They like heavy usage with large payments, and even then you're not guaranteed to get that coveted CLI. Plus, late payments don't help, even if it's just one every couple of years. In addition, your cards are  "starter" cards, meaning they're bucketed and not likely to grow much (if at all) to begin with. You'd probably be better off opening a new card with them, but beware of their triple pull, and I'd hold off until you get to at least 700 FICO8 across the board.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bicboiOD wrote:

@ChiknNuggz wrote:

Kind of on the same boat as you, had a Platinum card (which was PC'd to Quicksilver) with them since 2016 and had good payment history until about 2019 had few 30 day lates, last 30 day late was in June 2019 (just like you lol) but my scores were probably high 500s at the time and I'm well above the 650's and I do think the fact that late payments are on present on that account is hindering chances of a CLI.

But I'm going to be adding more to my secured deposit to have a max CLI of $1000 and hope to get an additional CLI after 6 months of on time payments, but just know that most DPs tend to show that Capital One tends to give CLI to heavy usage. I've heavily spent on my Quicksilver the past two billing cycles and I think what might be suppressing my chances of CLI is the one collections thats on my report, which is going to get deleted after I pay/settle at the end of the month. So I'm going to just try and put enough spend that probably exceeds the $300 limit and let it post a $25 statement balance and PIF to show 8.3% utilization and try for another CLI, if its a no-go I'm just going to sock drawer and leave it on auto pay with some recurring subscriptions to keep activity going on it. Its my oldest open revolver so that's the only reason what's stopping me from closing, plus it's no AF so why not.

I definitely agree with you for the most part that after you've significantly improved you credit profile to be in the 700's that you should sock drawer them as well and put your spend with other creditors. I'd recommend the Discover It Secured, $200 minimum deposit and can add additional deposits to get a max limit of $2500, known to graduate with responsible use across all credit accounts after 8 months!

You can only add to the Cap One Secured deposit up until you activate the card or up to 30d from being approved. Since you have had the card for awhile, that is no longer an option.

Secured cards do not get CLIs aside from thr "credit steps" increase, which is a one-time increase. Perhaps after it graduated you can get/request a CLI, but secured cards just do not get CLIs, Cap One being a little different, only partially secured and giving the one time "credit steps" CLI after 5 on-time payments.

Disco is unique where you can add to the deposit at any point. Only a few cards do this, which is a nice option! The max can be different for different people/credit profiles. Some can have up to $2700, but not always. Max for my SO was $1700 when he got the Disco secured.

I managed to get an auto-cli from Cap One from $500 to $1k at 11 months from opening with sub 600s scores. Many reported getting 3x auto- CLIs lately. What worked for me was HEAVY spend and paying. I cycled my $500 limit 3-10x a month. I have shot credit - 4 CAs, 120+ lates (got the card with 300+ lates), etc. and Cap One gave a good auto CLI. It was a plat that I PC'd to QS. I still cycle my limit heavily and can hope in 6 months I can get a good auto-CLI or requested CLI.

Message 5 of 9
bicboiOD
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bicboiOD wrote:

@ChiknNuggz wrote:

You can only add to the Cap One Secured deposit up until you activate the card or up to 30d from being approved. Since you have had the card for awhile, that is no longer an option.

Secured cards do not get CLIs aside from thr "credit steps" increase, which is a one-time increase. Perhaps after it graduated you can get/request a CLI, but secured cards just do not get CLIs, Cap One being a little different, only partially secured and giving the one time "credit steps" CLI after 5 on-time payments.

Disco is unique where you can add to the deposit at any point. Only a few cards do this, which is a nice option! The max can be different for different people/credit profiles. Some can have up to $2700, but not always. Max for my SO was $1700 when he got the Disco secured.

I managed to get an auto-cli from Cap One from $500 to $1k at 11 months from opening with sub 600s scores. Many reported getting 3x auto- CLIs lately. What worked for me was HEAVY spend and paying. I cycled my $500 limit 3-10x a month. I have shot credit - 4 CAs, 120+ lates (got the card with 300+ lates), etc. and Cap One gave a good auto CLI. It was a plat that I PC'd to QS. I still cycle my limit heavily and can hope in 6 months I can get a good auto-CLI or requested CLI.

I haven't activated the card yet, I just got in the mail a few days ago. I think I have until March 13th to add additional deposits

Current Stats:

03/2021 EXTUEQ

FICO8

(01/2020)

INQ (24mo)875
INQ (12mo)775
AAoA4y 2mo4y 2mo4y 2mo
AoYA2 mo2 mo2 mo

Personal Revolvers:

Credit Limit$300$2000$1000$1000$1250
Age4y 4mo2 mo1 mo1 moN/A
Utilization0%11%N/AN/AN/A
Message 6 of 9
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

When I got my secured back in 2015 they started me with $500 and than a year later raised it up $1,200. It was only when I got unsecured and did a PC that it was becoming a little easier to get CLI. In 6 years I am $7k for a CL, which I think is ok as some others are above this and even bucketed like me. 

Message 7 of 9
nosup4u
Contributor

I too have a cap 1 secured @1050 but I thought it doesnt granduate??  I've had mine since Nov 17 and no increases no nothing to be exact but I did have a lot of baddies on my report TU is almost clean 2 more to go and 1 falls off in May so I'm going to wait and see what I can do.  I also have a QS and walmart/ mendards card and when I go to the preapproval site they tell me I can't have any more Cap cards 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nosup4u wrote:

I too have a cap 1 secured @1050 but I thought it doesnt granduate??  I've had mine since Nov 17 and no increases no nothing to be exact but I did have a lot of baddies on my report TU is almost clean 2 more to go and 1 falls off in May so I'm going to wait and see what I can do.  I also have a QS and walmart/ mendards card and when I go to the preapproval site they tell me I can't have any more Cap cards 

If you got it in December, you do not get your "credit steps" increase until after 5 on-time payments (one every statement for 5 months), meaning your credit steps increase is not due, yet. Probably May or June

Yes, they started graduating cards again back in October or November last year, so hopefully they will continue doing so for the foreseeable future.

I believe you can only have 5 Cap One CCs, of which only 2 can be of their "subprime" products (you secured and QS), and they on do pre-approvals for their subprime products (the secured, platinum, and QS), so they will not show you any more pre-approvals for those cards. You would have to cold app for their better cards.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.