Re: Card for trip to Japan?

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Cash on MyFico?🤯 They didnt mean it CC godz🥴

I'm sorry cc godz! xD

Message 12 of 18
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

From what I have read, it's Visa > MC > Amex for acceptance. Not sure how Discover ranks. However, a lot more places are cash-only, so, where and how are you planning to use this card? Is it mainly for airline and hotel, plus some nice dinners, or are you hoping to use it everywhere as you travel around exploring Japan? And why just one card?

For hotels and airlines, I would take my pick of those and then consider getting a card that aligns with that choice. Any Hilton is going to accept Amex's Hilton line, as an example. For this type of use, Visa vs MC vs Amex doesn't matter that much. For more general use, you probably will want a Visa or MC, and there are quite a few cards with no FTF. PayPal MC doesn't have FTF, for example.

Good luck! I hope to go to Japan later this year, but that's TBD.

No derogs, but tons of inquiries and heavy credit-seeking behavior. In March of 2019, I had no open accounts, a charge-off, two collections, and scores in the low 500s. What I call the "thick build method" worked for me, but may not work for every situation.
Cards

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loan / Personal loan

Card CLs total $85,100, not counting the AU card. The AU card brings the total to $110,100. In March 2019, card CLs totaled $0.

Closed but still on reports: ExxonMobil, $950, 10/08-02/11 (Equifax only) | Citi secured, $200, 04/19-09/19 | Capital One secured, $300, 04/19-08/19 | My Jewelers Club, $5,000, 05/19-08/19 | Green Dot Primor, $300, 05/19-08/19 | Self Lender secured $500 loan, 04/19-01/20 | Unsecured personal loan from Coastal, $1,000, 06/19-08/19.
Message 13 of 18
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

From what I have read, it's Visa > MC > Amex for acceptance. Not sure how Discover ranks. However, a lot more places are cash-only, so, where and how are you planning to use this card? Is it mainly for airline and hotel, plus some nice dinners, or are you hoping to use it everywhere as you travel around exploring Japan? And why just one card?

For hotels and airlines, I would take my pick of those and then consider getting a card that aligns with that choice. Any Hilton is going to accept Amex's Hilton line, as an example. For this type of use, Visa vs MC vs Amex doesn't matter that much. For more general use, you probably will want a Visa or MC, and there are quite a few cards with no FTF. PayPal MC doesn't have FTF, for example.

Good luck! I hope to go to Japan later this year, but that's TBD.

While I'm not sure how frequently one might encounter problems, Discover has an agreement with JCB where each card can run on the other's network. So Discover's acceptance should be very high in Japan relative to other cards.

I agree it's always good to have cash, though.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, Freedom x 2, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCP, EDP
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 14 of 18
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Not sure what it's like outside the cities but I had no issue using Amex in Tokyo or Osaka. 

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 15 of 18
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@seattletravels wrote:

Not sure what it's like outside the cities but I had no issue using Amex in Tokyo or Osaka. 

Depends on where you're going. 

If you're staying at one of the US-branded hotels west of Shinjuku or shopping at one of the big department stores, no problem. 

I wouldn't count on it roaming around Roppongi at night while trying to evade the guys offering you free rides to strip joints. 

(7/2020)
FICO 8 (EX) 784 (TU) 788 (EQ) 791
FICO 9 (EX) 805 (TU) 800 (EQ) 809

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as ColdFusion
Message 16 of 18
Highlighted
Established Contributor

The problem with Discover is that even though the partnership with JCB was signed in good faith. The merchants that are accepting JCB cards are not trained to accept Discover and in some cases the terminals have not been updated to accept a Discover card. Like stated earlier some locations are properly trained and configured for their own rare cards like Hilton with AmEx cards. The biggest issue is going to be communicating to a merchant which probably does not share a language with you about something they have no idea about before. There is not enough Japanese hospitality to handle that complex situation most of the time. Visa and MasterCard will generally be accepted in the cities and suburbs with AmEx either being configured in special spots or hitching a ride on a default config. Discover will officially be accepted everywhere the others are but unofficially it might have some misses. In the rural areas it is almost guaranteed cash only.

TU:758 06/19/20 Bank of America--EX: 776 06/10/20 Experian--EQ:810 09/25/18 Citi--Gardening since 07/02/20
Active:
Bank of America (Better Balance Rewards M, Cash Rewards WM, Cash Rewards VS), Blispay V, Capital One (Quicksilver VSC, Walmart WMC), Chase(AARP VSC, Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom VSC, Slate VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Discover It C, FedEx Employee Credit Association V, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VS, HSBC Cash Rewards M[Pending], PenFed Platinum Rewards VSC, Synchrony Bank(PayPal Credit, PayPal 2% Cashback M), UMB Bank Simply Rewards V[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC)
Wishlist: AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, EBates, Marvel, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards, Wells Fargo Propel
Message 17 of 18
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Everyone has given you great advice 

in obtaining the right CC for your trip to Japan.

I will throw in a wild card. I got a Cathay Pacific Card

from Synchrony and have allready racked up the sub.

Have an upcoming trip to China in the works...

You can view all their benefits on the CC website

There is a $95 annual fee but if you get the Signature Card,

the rewards are considerable and they partner with many asian 

hotels as well as much more.

Whatever your decision,

Enjoy your trip :-)

Cheers

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.