Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances for Penfed

tag
followgreatness
Contributor

Chances for Penfed

I've been contemplating a Penfed account for a a week or so now. I'm primarily interested in an auto loan with them for their low APR since I have a baby on the way!

I figured since the HP for membership can be used for an autoloan and CC, I might as well get a credit card also!

My Fico 9 is 811 with only one HP in the last 12 months and over 70k income.
No derog's or bankruptcy, 1% utilization, 8 CC's, %100 payments.

Should I feel confident to get autoloan and CC or just autoloan? Also, what CC's would you recommend?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chances for Penfed

@followgreatness wrote:
I've been contemplating a Penfed account for a a week or so now. I'm primarily interested in an auto loan with them for their low APR since I have a baby on the way!

I figured since the HP for membership can be used for an autoloan and CC, I might as well get a credit card also!

My Fico 9 is 811 with only one HP in the last 12 months and over 70k income.
No derog's or bankruptcy, 1% utilization, 8 CC's, %100 payments.

Should I feel confident to get autoloan and CC or just autoloan? Also, what CC's would you recommend?

First, Congrats on the new baby!

I think you might be good to go for both an autoloan and a credit card. 

You only have 1 inquiry on your EQ. That's excellent. What about new accounts? How many have you gotten in the past 6 months/12 months, etc. The less you've gotten in the past year or so, the better. Although others are approved with a few new accounts. It depends on the profile.

I was just approved for the Pathfinder for $15K  with 5 inquiries on EQ, 3-4% utilitiy, 8 credit cards reporting. But no new accounts since January 2018. BK7 reporting, along with negatives from the BK7. 

As to the type of card, that would depend on your spending habits. I switched from the PowerCash Rewards card to the Pathfinder AmEx because I already had two other 2% cards that don't require me to keep a balance of $500 in my checking account. Also, I can make use of the $100 airline incidental credits and Global Entry/Precheck credit of the Pathfinder.  You might find the 5/2/1 Platinum Rewards card more to your liking. 

Take a look at the cards they offer and see which one fits your spend pattern the best. 

Good luck!

Message 2 of 13
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Penfed is now HPing for every action

Membership = 1 HP

Auto loan = another HP

Credit card = another HP

Your plan could result in 3 HPs now, not 1

Be careful

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 3 of 13
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@meanmchine

PenFed trying to be NFCU without the generosity. Let’s see how this goes lol.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheFIGuy wrote:
@meanmchine

PenFed trying to be NFCU without the generosity. Let’s see how this goes lol.

Not even. NFCU doesn’t HP for membership. 🤦‍♂️ 

Message 5 of 13
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

Yup I forgot, well then..
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

Penfed is now HPing for every action

Membership = 1 HP

Auto loan = another HP

Credit card = another HP

Your plan could result in 3 HPs now, not 1

Be careful

I can confirm this. I recently got a HP for credit limit increase as well as an app for an increase on my PLOC. Both denied..

Message 7 of 13
followgreatness
Contributor

Does anyone know if DCU also requires 3 seperate hard pulls for membership, CC and auto?
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@followgreatness wrote:
Does anyone know if DCU also requires 3 seperate hard pulls for membership, CC and auto?

I got a HP on EQ for my credit card. Membership was a Chex inquiry. 

I don’t know if they combine HPs. Since all of their UW is done on EQ5, it seems like something that would be a given but you may want to call and ask. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be fine if you don't mind the HP's.  They have great rates on auto loans where I got one with a discharged BK and a lower score than you.  You probably will qualify for their lowest rates.  My son has a thin file, lower score (725) and lower income (much lower) and they gave him a used car loan at their best rate.   You just have to decide if the HP's are worth it.  I try not to sweat those details but it is up to you.  

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.