cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of address hurts new credit card applications?

tag
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Change of address hurts new credit card applications?

My new address is not showing on my credit reports yet since I have not updated my 2 cards with it yet. 

If I apply for new credit cards using a new address that has never been on the reports, will that hurt my chances of being approved? Even a little?

thanks

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Change of address hurts new credit card applications?

No, it won't hurt your chances of approval.  The reason being, on the application if you have lived at your address less than two years, you will be required to put in your old address.

So go ahead and apply for the card that prompted this question.

Message 2 of 11
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Very good point. They normally do ask you for the old address. I think you can even go as far as updsting the address with the bureaus on your own.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

It does cause some problems IMO...  I moved about 3 months ago and two of the three reports reflect my new address..  With that said Blispay had an issue with my moving within the last 3 or 6 months and declined me for that soul reason.  I had to bark up the chain quite a bit to get the denial overturned.  Ideally one would want to live at address for two year if shorter can cause issues with some of the smaller lenders and/or verification even if they allow you to put old address.  Had had a few issues with regards to this since I have moved.  

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just recently moved and received a prequal in the mail at my old house for Chase Freedom Unlimited. Since the prequal was sent to the old house I apped and used my old address in the app, instantly approved. I called Chase right after I was approved and explained the move, gave them my new adress, and they expidited my new card to the new house. No problems. Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I just recently moved and received a prequal in the mail at my old house for Chase Freedom Unlimited. Since the prequal was sent to the old house I apped and used my old address in the app, instantly approved. I called Chase right after I was approved and explained the move, gave them my new adress, and they expidited my new card to the new house. No problems. Hope this helps.

Yep that is way to do it use old address for awhile then call once approved and change it.. I learned the hard way.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No, it won't hurt your chances of approval.  The reason being, on the application if you have lived at your address less than two years, you will be required to put in your old address.

So go ahead and apply for the card that prompted this question.

If you are new to your address, your application usually asks for your previous address. That has happened to me and it was not issue.

Message 7 of 11
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

thanks for all the replies.

It seems that applying with the old address and then calling to give them the new mailing address is best at this point. 

Thanks again. !

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Superduper2014 wrote:

thanks for all the replies.

It seems that applying with the old address and then calling to give them the new mailing address is best at this point. 

Thanks again. !

Yes I recommend that as well. When I moved I used my new address and apped and instantly denied.  The same day tried for different cards using old address and approved. I did the same and called right in and changed my address to the correct one.

Message 9 of 11
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

When I moved, I used my old address for apps for about 2 months....then I started changing address with the credit card companies and when everything was changed over I started applying again with new address.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.