Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase 48 Month (SUB) Sapphire Rule

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase 48 Month (SUB) Sapphire Rule

Hi.

I got the Chase Sapphire Preferred card a couple years ago but I didn't know about sign-up bonus, so I didn't do the spend and missed it. Now, Chase has a 48 month rule on Sapphire card approvals. However, in the terms it states its from receiving the sign-up bonus to next bonus. Since I technically didn't receive the bonus, would I be eligible to get the Chase Sapphire Reserve with its bonus if I cancel my current Preferred?

If so, when should I do it? Do I have to wait at all between when I cancel my Preferred to applying to the Reserve?

If it matters, my credit score is in the 730-750 range depending on FICO/Vantage sources.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase 48 Hour Sapphire Rule

I would attempt to downgrade the preferred to one of the freedoms first before cancelling. Then apply for the Reserve.
Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response. Do I need to wait between downgrade and application though? That's kinda my question. And are you certain I'd be considered Smiley Surprised I just wanted to clarify the terms I was reading

Message 3 of 13
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

Call Chase to verify you can apply for the reserve after downgrading preferred. I only know that you can’t have two sapphires at the same time. So if you downgrade one, you have a slot open for a sapphire. Perhaps wait a statement cycle between downgrade and application so that it registers in Chase’s system that you don’t have a sapphire at the time of application.
Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 4 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the response. Do I need to wait between downgrade and application though? That's kinda my question. And are you certain I'd be considered Smiley Surprised I just wanted to clarify the terms I was reading

Wait 30 days.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

It's my understanding that it's not 48 months from the original approval but 48 months from when SUB was received. So, if that's the case, you will need to wait 48 months from sub date plus additional month for it to be handled properly. 

Message 6 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

It's my understanding that it's not 48 months from the original approval but 48 months from when SUB was received. So, if that's the case, you will need to wait 48 months from sub date plus additional month for it to be handled properly. 

Your understanding is correct - the clock starts when the SUB is met, not when the application is approved.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 13
CerebralZulu
Frequent Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Your understanding is correct - the clock starts when the SUB is met, not when the application is approved.

So since the op didn't meet the sub, the clock never started? Should he be good to go to try to meet the sub on the CSR?

Message 8 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase 48 Month (SUB) Sapphire Rule

@Anonymous - I updated the thread title to provide more clarity associated with the topic, since the SUB restriction is measured by months, not hours Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 13
TheAuthorizedUser
New Contributor

Re: Chase 48 Month (SUB) Sapphire Rule

Would be nice if it was 48 hours lol

Garden Life: 4.01.20
Leaving Garden: 1.15.22
Updated: 4.15.20

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.