Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase 5/24 Rule and Future Credit Cards

tag
Carlosjb3
Contributor

Chase 5/24 Rule and Future Credit Cards

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this has already been answered before, I just can't seem to find the answer when I searched the forums.

Question: I haven't applied for credit cards in the past 24 months so the 5/24 rule does not apply to me. However, lets say I do get approved for 2 Chase cards will I be able to go on an app spree afterwards? In other words does the 5/24 rule work in reverse? Hopefully this made sense.

Thank you.

Fico 8 Scores [Nov 2018]: Equifax 677 | TransUnion 667 | Experian 668
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase 5/24 Rule and Future Credit Cards

Bad plan, both in general (current conditions aren't the best for a spree) and with Chase in particular. They'll be doing some "whatcha doin?" SPs for a couple months after approval and don't historically like to see you getting other accounts.

Smart move is get one, give it a few months before apping for a second, then 3-6 months later look elsewhere. They've been known to close accounts on people, even closing the second card if approved too close to the first.

Message 2 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Carlosjb3 wrote:

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this has already been answered before, I just can't seem to find the answer when I searched the forums.

Question: I haven't applied for credit cards in the past 24 months so the 5/24 rule does not apply to me. However, lets say I do get approved for 2 Chase cards will I be able to go on an app spree afterwards? In other words does the 5/24 rule work in reverse? Hopefully this made sense.

Thank you.

That depends on whether you want to keep chase cards or not.

Also, if you are planning on applying for two Chase cards you might want to make sure that even those applications are spaced apart. 

But, if you do decide to go on a spree, any DPs are welcome. 

Message 3 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Carlosjb3 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you.

5/24 doesn't work in reverse, but Chase's general aversion to a lot of credit-seeking behavior does in fact work in reverse. If you were to get approved for 2 Chase cards, after you get them Chase will be soft pulling your credit, watching you like a hawk, and if they see a lot of aggressive credit-seeking afterwards, might just shut both cards down. They do that.

So don't.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do they frown about if you apply for 3 chase cards with 3 months apart. Would adding a biz card in the mix be a better option, if option 1 does not work. i.e Personal - 3mon - Biz - 3mon - Personal

Message 5 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do they frown about if you apply for 3 chase cards with 3 months apart. Would adding a biz card in the mix be a better option, if option 1 does not work. i.e Personal - 3mon - Biz - 3mon - Personal

Personally, due to the value of staying on Chase's good side, and Chase's tendency to react violently sometimes against adding multiple cards, I would avoid any kind of schedule like that, and proceed more cautiously.

I would add 1 card -- the card I wanted most -- and leave it at that.

And then I would wait for preapprovals. Once you're preapproved on their site, with a green "Just for You" checkmark, or with a black star, IMHO that's their way of signalling to you that they're ok with your submitting a new application for an additional card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I don't think you need to wait for pre-approval on the second card especially because most people will not see a pre-approval. 

All you need to do is wait, 3-6 months (6 is better) between Chase apps, and you should be fine unless income makes you hit the bump before you're done applying for multiple chase cards. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies,

would Chase - 3months - Citi Premier - 3months - Chase work? Or chase still sees that as too many activities. So 6 months gardening is a must between chase cards?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.