Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase -- Apply, or no? I'm scared!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase -- Apply, or no? I'm scared!

Hello!

I've been on a spree of credit apps and for some reason have not considered Chase.  After reading mostly positive reviews about Chase Freedom, I've decided I want to apply for that card (or another), but would first like to give you my credit snapshot:

Walmart TU: 675

CK: 642   CK Vantage: 744

American Express Credit Secure EXP: 735    Equifax: 761   TU: 677 

My Fico: Equifax: 689   TU: 718   Experian: 741

Average Age: 5+ yrs

Total Revolving Accounts: 17(open), all current   

Utilization: Roughly 11% 

Credit Mix:  Student Loan, 1 installment loan, Credit Cards/Store Cards, No mortgage, No auto

Largest Lines of Credit:  Lowe's 15,000    Home Depot $11,500    Total Rewards Visa $5,800  

Negatives:  1 public record (medical -- old, and ready to age off in May 2015) on Experian and Equifax 

1 Charged off Installment Loan -- Old -- Falling off 7/2015 on Transunion and Equifax

Inquiries:  Experian: 6  Transunion: 8  Equifax: 9

Sufficient Income/Employed

Some posts indicate Chase is inquiry sensitive, others seemed to not have a problem. Not sure.  

Your input is most welcomed!

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase -- Apply, or no? I'm scared!

It's not so much the inquiries that may be the issue, it's the negatives (from what you posted above) that may hinder those efforts (but not always).  Check the pre-qualification tool and see if any offers display for you. 

There is nothing to be scared about applying.  You simply fill out the form, read/accept the terms, and click submit.  That's it!  If you do not receive an instant approval, then it could be two things, further verification required or not approved.  Some folks who do not get approved opt and try their luck to determine if their application can be reconsidered... your results will vary.

Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Id wait till that public record falls off.
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm kind of getting the vibe I should wait for the public records to drop off.  I have that same intuition and maybe that is preventing me from hitting the submit application button! By June/July 2015, all of credit bureaus (fingers crossed) would be totally clean and free of derogatories.  

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome. You should get a great credit limit then.
Message 5 of 26
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm kind of getting the vibe I should wait for the public records to drop off.  I have that same intuition and maybe that is preventing me from hitting the submit application button! By June 2015, all of credit bureaus (fingers crossed) would be totally clean and free of derogatories.  

That would be in your best interest as Nixon mentioned above.

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wait.  If you had a clean shot Nixon would tell you to pull the trigger.

There will be some good bonuses in May, I'm sure.  

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone!  Newer to this community, but I totally trust your insight and advice.  I'll wait until the reports are entirely clean -- a few months is not going to kill me.

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

You guys know me too well....

But yes, if I thought the public record was no big deal, I'd personally walk you over to the "Go" sign and tell you to collect your $200.
Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Happy  The $200..... Chase Freedom Bonus, right?   

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.